No announcement yet.

New Rifle Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the Ruger and go Magpul on the stock. Of course I have four Savage rifles.....��

Comment

If I had to do it over again, I'd still go with the RAR (Compact or Predator) in 6.5CM, but I'd go with the lighter Bell & Carlson stock over the Boyd's laminate that I put on it. The B&C would be a drop (or bolt) in and the Boyd's needed glass bedding. The B&C stock, however, only fits the rotary mag models at this point. Not an issue for me as I don't like a magazine hanging out below the rifle.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
        If I had to do it over again, I'd still go with the RAR (Compact or Predator) in 6.5CM, but I'd go with the lighter Bell & Carlson stock over the Boyd's laminate that I put on it. The B&C would be a drop (or bolt) in and the Boyd's needed glass bedding. The B&C stock, however, only fits the rotary mag models at this point. Not an issue for me as I don't like a magazine hanging out below the rifle.

Stu
        I have been leaning this way as well the more i think about it. What’s the action like on this guns? Smooth? Gritty?

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
          I have been leaning this way as well the more i think about it. What’s the action like on this guns? Smooth? Gritty?
          It feels more like a "zip tie" due to the (I think) machining on the bolt. It does smooth out with time and repeated operation. Aftermarket bolt handles are easy to add, which provides a little more leverage if you like.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
            For myself sure, but for my sons birthday not so much haha. I have been leaning toward the Savage but wanted to see of others thoughts on those 4.

I picked up a savage package gun with the 3-9 weaver on it in 6.5 for My GF son for christmas .. We did a hydo dip on the stock and painter the rest in desert tan came out great low budget .. This weekend it will get shot for the first time

Comment

If weight is an issue...don't all the tactical and predator models have heavy barrels? Something with a sporter type, thinner barrel may be the way to go. I have both the Savage and Remington SPS tactical rifles and most of the weight is from the fat barrels. Even at a short 20 inches. I'm not sure about the Mossberg and Ruger Predator models.

Comment

How old is your son?

If he is younger, I would not shy away from heavy. A heavy rifle means less kick. I have seen many "youth" rifles promote bad shooting because of too much recoil.

Of the rifles you listed, I think all are good except the Mossberg. I have no experience with Mossberg.

Comment

From that list, ruger or savage

If you want a Boyd's, look at a barreled action from Howa

Comment

look for a bergara b-14 hmr rifle. by the time you buy the rifle and boyds stock, you can likely buy the bergara for comparable money.

Comment

Originally posted by orlybow View Post
                      If weight is an issue...don't all the tactical and predator models have heavy barrels? Something with a sporter type, thinner barrel may be the way to go. I have both the Savage and Remington SPS tactical rifles and most of the weight is from the fat barrels. Even at a short 20 inches. I'm not sure about the Mossberg and Ruger Predator models.
                      Weight isn't really a huge just trying to stay under 10 lbs. for a bare rifle. Also want a threaded barrel which a lot of times are the heavier barrel.

Comment

I meant shy away from light.

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                        How old is your son?

If he is younger, I would not shy away from heavy. A heavy rifle means less kick. I have seen many "youth" rifles promote bad shooting because of too much recoil.

Of the rifles you listed, I think all are good except the Mossberg. I have no experience with Mossberg.

Comment

Working...
                        X