New Rifle Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rifle Help

I have searched on here for several months and finally narrowed down a few choices for my sons rifle. He really wants a suppressor ready 6.5 Creedmoor that's not super heavy. I have narrowed it down to the choices below and was wanting to get some input from those that have one. What the actions are like, accuracy, overall fit and finish, etc. I will ultimately put my hands on one before buying but I wanted to get some first hand experience from others.

Savage 110 Tactical
    Remington 700 SPS Tactical
    Mossberg MVP Predator
    Ruger American Predator - would get a Boyds stock for it

Boyd's stocks look nice but they're heavy, adding a couple of pounds to the rifle. A Ruger American is the best of that list in my opinion, but for what you describe (mentioning weight) I'd look at a Magpul stock instead. I use an MDT LSS but it's not for everyone.

Comment

Savage
      Over the rest of the list
      but if you add to the list see below

APR rifle done and done .

Comment

The only rifle that comes close that we own is the Mossberg atr 100. The action is the same as the Mossberg on your list. Have 2, a 270 and a 243. My son has taken quite a few deer with the 243. This year 1 deer taken with the 270. Accuracy is decent, bolt is comparable to my 700 adl rem. as far as smoothness goes. The synthetic stock is nothing to talk about, a Boyd's aftermarket stock would do better. As far as, the Mossberg goes, we have never had any issues with them. They function flawlessly and shoot straight. The only thing I have noticed is when the barrel gets hot from extended shooting, the shot group starts to spread out. I blame this on the synthetic stock. Other than that it is a good hunting rifle. I have owned all 4 of those brands of rifles at one time or another. Good luck.

Comment

The Ruger American I picked up for my daughter shoots really well. At 100 yards (with factory ammunition) it is a 3/4" moa rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
            Savage
            Over the rest of the list
            but if you add to the list see below

APR rifle done and done .
            For myself sure, but for my sons birthday not so much haha. I have been leaning toward the Savage but wanted to see of others thoughts on those 4.

Comment

hands down the savage is the way to go

Comment

Savage then Ruger on that list in my opinion. One advantage the Ruger does have over the Savage is Magpul is making stocks for them, but that is about it. I think he will be happy with either of them though.

Comment

no question fro me....Savage every time. Savage is one the most, if not the most, accurate "off the shelf/out of the box" rifles out there

Comment

Got my son the Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor for Christmas. We put the Magpul hunter stock on it. A little on the heavy side for him, but he isn’t going to be packing it. It’s a shooter. He broke it in this past weekend and got a deer with it.

Comment

Savage for sure. I agree they are the most accurate production rifle made!

Comment

I'm a Remington man but that predator will outshoot it out of the box. If you don't mind adding and aftermarket trigger. Go Remington. If you want to scream "Attention Walmart Shoppers" go with the Savage!

Comment

Ruger

Comment

I have the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor I know you didn’t have it listed. They are inexpensive and barrels come threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by jon b View Post
                              if you want to scream "attention walmart shoppers" go with the savage!
                              lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X