National Ordnance 03A3 Springfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Ordnance 03A3 Springfield

I just made a multi gun deal happen and was given a Springfield 03A3 made by Natl Ordnance by the seller as a thank you. All I have read was the rifle is crap and prone to receiver cracks and mishaps because it was basically a parts gun with a after the fact, cast; not milled receiver.
    Anyone have any real world experience with this rifle?
    Should I keep it or send it down the line?
    Any info appreciated.
    KIMG1714 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
    KIMG1717 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

I inherited one from my Dad. He had it sporterized@ 1970 and I shot quite a few deer with it growing up and plenty of deer & hogs here in Texas .. still going strong !

Comment

Interesting that so many people have problems with Springfield 03A3s with investment cast receivers, but then there are a lot of people who think Rugers are great guns. Rugers are cheap guns, always have been. They are by no means high quality guns or very accurate guns, but they are usually reliable, but not all of them. Most if not all, Rugers use investment castings.

As for the Springfield you have, it looks like it is in very good condition. I would probably take it to a good older gunsmith and have him check it out and let him make suggestions. Never heard of National Ordnance 03A3s, I have read a lot about them, most of them are very good rifles. My step father had one, he bought back in the early 80s and had sporterized. That was a great shooting rifle, but that **** think kicked like a mule, never shot an other 30-06 that kicked anywhere near as hard as that gun. He left the original barrel on it, just had it shortened to around 24" if I remember correctly. It shot great, it would shoot 1/2" groups or less at 100 yards, with the old original barrel.

Comment

Pm Sent

Comment

Thank you for the info Gents. T-Roy...I'll keep you in mind. Thanks again.

Comment

Cant read the serial number. Supposedly the pre 800,000 serial numbered guns had substandard heat treating on the receiver. Some say don't shoot, some say do.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
              Cant read the serial number. Supposedly the pre 800,000 serial numbered guns had substandard heat treating on the receiver. Some say don't shoot, some say do.
              Great info Thanks!
              # 5010669
              So this one is 5,010,669 way over the 800k mark. But still has me wondering.
              I have done a lot of dangerous things in my life. But never shouldering a possibly unsafe firearm. Not having great confidence with this rifle even though it is super clean and in great shape.
              Again thanks for the info.

Comment

I had one too.
                All the parts in the rifle were marked Remington and 1943 production.
                I was with my dad when he bought the rifle at a gunshow in Baton Rouge about 1970.
                From what I understand they were buying surplus parts and then investment casting their own receivers.
                Some did come apart.
                I scrounged up a GI issue Smith Corona receiver off the CMP forums and had my gunsmith swap the receiver out to make it a safe to shoot rifle.

Comment

Ok...here is where I am at. I will NOT shoot this gun with this receiver and am looking for a drill rifle receiver or parts gun 03A3. Found a guy in Denver who specializes in 03A3's and will do the swap with my guns parts for $100 plus shipping.
                  So now the hunt begins.

Comment

I think you can have a smith check the headspace and bore, for your peace of mind, and shoot it. I shot a low number that had been sporterized for years without an issue. Factory federal ammo and no reloads. But I was a teenager then and invincible.

If I remember lots of these rifles were refit during wwII. Lots sold through the cmp.

Comment

I have been stopped in my tracks and awoken!
                      There is a National Ordnance 03A3 for auction on Gunbroker and it is at $600! Cheese Louise...IF I can get that for this rifle, I will sell it and roll the dough into another project.

Comment

The only ones ive heard of having reciever cracks were those from Eddystone arsenal

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike View Post
                          The only ones ive heard of having reciever cracks were those from Eddystone arsenal
                          Mike...check this out. National Ordnance receiver. This is from the CMP forum.
                          I will not shoot this rifle.
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Final sale of this rifle went for $810. Not my rifle, one just like it.

So many 03A3 aficionados told me the gun was crap and should part it out. I even got offers for the sights and other parts.
                            $810 is not so worthless to me. I think I will put my rifle up on Gunbroker.
                            I am amazed at what a parts gun went for.

Comment

Good luck to ya on the sale Tony.

Could I get a pic of the front and rear sight on it before you let it go?

Comment

Working...
                              X