No announcement yet.

more energy option for ar-15 platform??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a AR nut. I have 5.56, 7.62x39, Grendel, 25-45, 6x45, 30 American, 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, and a Beowulf. The thermal lives on the 7.62. With the availability of the Wolf 154 gr SP ammo, I don't bother chasing brass, and I bought a bunch of it when it was available.

Comment

With a 350 Legend, you can use the same bolt, possibly the mag. A 6.5 Grendel, would be a good choice, but you will have to change the bolt and mags. Then the same goes for the 6.8 SPC. Then there is the 450 Bushmaster, it will require a different bolt and mags. Then there is the 25-45, it's basically a 223 case necked up to 25 caliber, very similar to the old 6mm TCU and 7mm TCU. Which both of those would not be bad choices. Then there is the 458 SOCOM, 375 SOCOM and the 50 Beowulf. On all three of those cases, you also need to make sure you have a large ejection port, those cases are pretty fat. Then the 300 Blackout and 7.62x 39.

The 350 Legend, would be the quickest, cheapest way to get to where you want to be. The Grendel would be a good choice also. The big bore calibers can greatly step up how much energy you hit them with.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-28-2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

same reason a 16" grendel won't perform as well as a 24".

here is some real data on ar15 platform. https://www.everydaymarksman.co/equi...rel-selection/

any calibers where you derive from their optimal length barrel to shorten them up will suffer in performance ... chop a 7mag to 16" and it's no longer a 7 mag add insult to injury, the bullets made for 7 mag are usually harder and won't expand as well at lower speed either...

take the new craze 8" 556 ... and they are almost the performance of a 22mag ...

I run a faxon pencil 20" on my 556 pig gun .. for that exact reason. and it's still just a hair over 6LBS.
        but i won't use it on steel up close , it really craters ar500 bad.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
          same reason a 16" grendel won't perform as well as a 24".

here is some real data on ar15 platform. https://www.everydaymarksman.co/equi...rel-selection/

any calibers where you derive from their optimal length barrel to shorten them up will suffer in performance ... chop a 7mag to 16" and it's no longer a 7 mag add insult to injury, the bullets made for 7 mag are usually harder and won't expand as well at lower speed either...

take the new craze 8" 556 ... and they are almost the performance of a 22mag ...

I run a faxon pencil 20" on my 556 pig gun .. for that exact reason. and it's still just a hair over 6LBS.
          but i won't use it on steel up close , it really craters ar500 bad.
          Yeah, a lot of people miss this.
          16" barrel on both, the 6.8 has the edge out to 500 yards.
          If you're a paper puncher, the Grendel is probably in your best interest.
          Hunting scenarios, the Grendel has no advantage other than a slight increase in SD.
          The 6.5 needs a longer barrel, but most I see are running short barrels, talking about how superior the 6.5 is to the 6.8.
          Here is some good reading on it.

Here's what you need to know about the pros and cons of the 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel cartridges so you can make an informed decision. The better choice is

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Hunting scenarios, the Grendel has no advantage other than a slight increase in SD.
            The 6.5 needs a longer barrel, but most I see are running short barrels, talking about how superior the 6.5 is to the 6.8.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/6-...s-6-5-grendel/
            yep, i have a 16" 6.8 , a 24" grendel , a few 16" blackout , 16 and 20" 556 .. and they will all lose pigs with less than perfect shots .. i even lost one with 20" 308 and it looked like it lost a gallon of blood ... then nothing .. must have been on meth or something ... if you hunt in the open on fields , most savvy hunter just hit them twice ... for good measure .. most time where i hunt , it's so thick , you only see them for 20 to 30 yards ... i just go neck shot .. got one this weekend with the blackout barnes 110's, walking around , they came from behind us, we were talking .. they bolted , hit her on the run right behind the shoulder , not a drop of blood , ran 50 yards under cedars ... it was a ***** to find her even with the full moon .. probably would have made no difference with a howitzer .

Comment

Based on the information in your provided link, the 16” Grendel has the edge on the 6.8 in energy (beyond 100yds) and wind drift at any distance. Because of this, I would have to disagree with you and say the Grendel has the advantage in both, hunting scenarios and paper punching.
              I have, and load, for both. If I could only have one, it would be the Grendel.

Comment

I went with 6x45. One pass of .223 brass through the 6x45 die, add a primer, powder and a 6 mm bullet and you have a loaded 6x45. Same bolt as a .223, just a different barrel. I really like mine. And .223 brass is plentiful and free at my range. I have a little trouble depriming crimped brass so I look for uncrimped brass.

Comment

I disagree about the grendel needing longer barrels, I get a bit over 2300 2200 fps (edit: had to go double check) out my 12.5" with 123 ssts.
                  Last edited by sir shovelhands; 03-02-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                    I disagree about the grendel needing longer barrels, I get a bit over 2300 2200 fps (edit: had to go double check) out my 12.5" with 123 ssts.
                    Thats what about what I am getting with my 12" too. Pigs do not like it. lol

Comment

Grendel! I have a hardened arms 24" bull barrel that is a tack driver with factory ammo. I just changed barrels to a 18", and after I changed the gas block and handguard, I should have just bought a complete upper. Absolutely love my grendel, hogs, coyotes, skunks, even my 10 pt this year. Awesome caliber.

Comment

I’d say 6.8 or 6.5 grendel for fast flat shooting rounds. I don’t have personal experience with the 6.8 but my 16” grendel has flopped 95% of hogs I’ve shot using 120gr eldm.

You could also go with the 350legend/450 bush/458 socom for a heavy hitter but you loose the range of the others. My 458 flips them pretty good using 325gr ftx bullets.

Also don’t pass up the good ol cheap 7.62x39

Comment

I'd say Grendel or 6.8 SPC. I'm currently down sizing because I just load for way too many different calibers and some are redundant. I love my Grendel but don't need it anymore so,,,,

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

also check out wilson combat 300 hamr

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                              also check out wilson combat 300 hamr
                              This is what I was going to suggest. I have not looked into the balistics of this round yet but it has seem to create quite the buzz. I am not optomistic that it will be so much better that it would justify the cost of swapping my 6.5 grendel upper for though.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                                From Ballistic AE.
                                24" grendel sst123 muzzle 2591fps energy 1833
                                100 yards 2424fps. energy 1609

12.5"grendel SST123. muzzle 2210fps. energy 1334
                                100 yards. 2061fps. energy 1160

24" has almost 40% more energy at 100 yards

12.5" grendel is just about the same as a 16" 300 blk .

Comment

Working...
                                X