No announcement yet.

Off season hunter chore list:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With this lack of rain, we are spending a small fortune on supplemental feeding! Headed down this weekend to replace some stand and fill feeders I modified to make 'em more coon proof. Got clearance from landowner to allow us to trap coons, so some will die this weekend!! Polishing up my Duke's DP coon cuffs... taking more fence building materials down to put up a cattle excluder pen around a new set up... Any pigs sighted will be dispatched if possible.
    Yea, I'm not a public land person either... been there, done that, no thank you! Have no desire to run into Jack Q Public in the woods...

Comment

So far this offseason we’ve:

-Built new protein pen and added new protein feeder and cottonseed hoops to it.
      -Filled protein, cottonseed, and corn multiple times.
      -Built a new blind to replace an old one. Relocated that complete set for better field of view.
      -Replaced camp grill and bbq pit.
      -Defrosted and cleaned out camp deep freezer.
      -Repaired a couple blinds. Still have a couple more to do.
      -Killed pigs.
      -Trapped coons. Acquired a bunch more traps to help here.
      -Updated deer log for the year.
      -Trimmed roads. Still have more trimming to do.
      -Scouted a couple areas for new tripod sets.

Trying to get most of the field stuff done before it gets hot. Much more fun knocking that stuff out in March than in July

Currently I’m doing some testing for trail camera inventory. Have 9 cameras we pulled out of the rotation that did funky stuff at various points of the year so trying to figure out which of those is worth keeping/fixing and which ones are junk.

Ordered and got a new string put on my bow. Working on getting that all shot in and tuned up now. Shops are dead right now so the whole process has been a breeze.

Doing bow bullet inventory and replacing things as needed. Been buying broadheads like it’s my job

Keeping an eye out for clothing or gear deals for upgrades.

Comment

same aa the rest of you except I need to burn one long brush pile, wind direction pending, and build a couple strategically placed permanent stands. That depends on wood prices staying the same or dropping. If not, I'll be in hang-up stands.
        And tuning / more practice with the new bow.

Have fun guys!

Comment

Fix fences from bailouts, run water pump to maintain levels in ponds & tanks, fill feeders, shoot hogs, rinse & repeat almost weekly! I wish I could add shredding to this list but when it doesn't rain nothing to shred or mow.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
            Some of us put in a lot of sweat equity and exercise scouting from now until season starts on public

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

America is a great country...

Comment

Some of us put in a lot of sweat equity and exercise scouting from now until season starts on public

I do my scouting in October, during bow season. Right now i am pretty set on a very good area so my stink won't be around more than a day or so. i always bow hunt in a different area than where I rifle hunt.

Comment

With a new ranch this year the list is endless. So far this offseason we have done:
                • Build Cabin - this has taken 99% of our time, once it is done we will get to focus more on hunting related items but it is a slow process
                • Built 2 feed pens for protein
                • Built a couple of pens and moved corn feeders around due to cows
                • Fill feeders and keep running
                • Killed a few pigs

Still to do:
                • Finish cabin
                • Rebuild a couple of blinds
                • Fix a few feeders
                • Build another protein feed pen or 2 and get feeders out
                • Work on roads
                • Get after coons
                • Get after predators - snares, hunting, etc.
                • Stay after pigs
                • Explore the new ranch away from where the roads are, etc.
                • Tractor work - shredding, disking, food plots, etc
                • Depending on if we get more land, move some blinds and/or set up new locations
                • Clear around our thingamajig. We have a structure that we don't have a clue what it is but it is cool. I want to clear around it to get a better look and make it look better overall. Then maybe I can take pics and try to figure out what the hell it is.

I know we won't get to all of it this year and the list will continue to grow but we will try. The goal every year is to make the place better than it was the year before.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  With this lack of rain, we are spending a small fortune on supplemental feeding! Headed down this weekend to replace some stand and fill feeders I modified to make 'em more coon proof. Got clearance from landowner to allow us to trap coons, so some will die this weekend!! Polishing up my Duke's DP coon cuffs... taking more fence building materials down to put up a cattle excluder pen around a new set up... Any pigs sighted will be dispatched if possible.
                  Yea, I'm not a public land person either... been there, done that, no thank you! Have no desire to run into Jack Q Public in the woods...
                  Slick, you won't run into me unless I allow you to. Where I hunt, most years I don't even see another hunter, and when I do, I already know him. You've been hunting the wrong areas, you have to go way back and off the beaten trail.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    I do my scouting in October, during bow season. Right now i am pretty set on a very good area so my stink won't be around more than a day or so. i always bow hunt in a different area than where I rifle hunt.
                    A lot our public is on land owned by timber companies. Where I had great success last season could become a clear cut any time now. Have to stay on top of cutting activity. Last years lovely strip cuts will grow into a mess in the summer unless you keep it clear. I also hunt national forest which don require as much attention

Comment

We were up this weekend and knocked out the majority of our offseason work while it was relatively not hot.

Camp clean up - I have OCD when it comes to being clean
                      Bathhouse plumbing - Had a couple of small leaks from freeze, all fixed up now
                      Feeders and stand moved and filled up, timers adjusted for offseason
                      Firewood cut - probably have close to a couple of cords stacked up now

Now I need to find a good, quiet, high volume positive pressure pump for the camp. We have one that works, but it can’t keep up with flow from a low flow shower head.

Comment

Slick, you won't run into me unless I allow you to. Where I hunt, most years I don't even see another hunter, and when I do, I already know him. You've been hunting the wrong areas, you have to go way back and off the beaten trail.
                        Yep or hunt where no one ever attempts to hunt. There is also the right next to the road overlooked areas. I never have a problem with people but I also have a bunch of spots to choose from if I think someone is near where I want to hunt

Comment

A lot our public is on land owned by timber companies. Where I had great success last season could become a clear cut any time now. Have to stay on top of cutting activity. Last years lovely strip cuts will grow into a mess in the summer unless you keep it clear. I also hunt national forest which don require as much attention

Yes, that is where I hunt, National Forest. For decades in Sam Houston and the last few years, Sabine National Forest. Heck, I hunt within 200 yds of the Sabine river bed on Toledo Bend. I've dragged bucks on a 2 wheeler up to 4 miles to get away from the city bound hunters at Sam.

Comment

There is an off season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did I say anything about YOU?
                              BELIEVE ME, I have exactly ZERO desire to run into you ANYWHERE.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Did I say anything about YOU?
                                BELIEVE ME, I have exactly ZERO desire to run into you ANYWHERE.
                                This made chuckle…a lot!

Better watch for that yellow vette in your rear view!

Comment

Working...
                                X