Muddy under feeders: Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hunt in very wet/muddy area. Feeder pens help some but aren’t always possible and aren’t always effective as long as we allow pigs which we want to shoot with bows. Any out of the box ideas to keeping area under feeder from turning into a mud hole? Any suggestion we got which we are considering is putting down thin gauge cattle panel so they can’t root and putting old carpet or rug on top of it weighted down in the corners. Any thoughts or ideas other than feedpen, concrete floor (have tried and it has other issues with runoff). Thanks.

Cattle panels will help, but likely not stop them completely. Feed pens is your best bet imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I wouldn’t use carpet right now, probably would carry a lot of unwanted scent in the area. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used long stakes to secure a sheet of 3/4” treated plywood under the feeder. It worked for a couple of years until it started to warp and the hogs actually dug it up and moved it.

Comment

We poured a few bags of concrete under one of ours, raked in dirt then put a little water on it and it has stayed pretty hard for years.

Comment

Lay cattle panels under it. They work pretty good.

Comment

I've started just putting sacks of sakrete under mine and letting them age / weather. Works pretty well.

Comment

Pens would be best but would keep pigs out and not an option on these spots for various reasons. I would think the plywood would create runoff like the slabs do, but good idea. I get the carpet/scent issue. These will be brand new setups. As wet as it is, I think it would go from y’all grass to mud pit in a week without something.

Comment

Do 50/50 pea gravel and corn in your feeder. After a few seasons you should have a good gravel base.

Comment

I do the cattle panels over about a 10'x10' area and then put one of those heavy rubber cattle mats from TSC on top of that. We are pretty sandy and this helps tons from them diffing it out.

Comment

I did the bag concrete like the others... worked well and still does.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarr View Post
                        We poured a few bags of concrete under one of ours, raked in dirt then put a little water on it and it has stayed pretty hard for years.

This for your best long term solution

Comment

I did cattle panels at work. Did ok for a while then it stayed wet and they rooted under them. We just went and dumped road base under all the feeders and fixed it permanently

Comment

Metal grates

Comment

Originally posted by jbarr View Post

This is best. We’ve done it a few times. Now, I pen the feeders because I don’t care to ever see another hog.

Comment

Working...
                              X