Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sit Drag Saddle Users

Any other converts on here?

This is my first year using it so far and I’m loving mine!

I did trash an old safety harness and speedy stitched the belt/leg loops into the back of the seat. In a tree currently or id post pics.

I tried running it with a rock harness but found it cumbersome which is why I went with attaching the old harness which I cut the shoulder straps off of. The old harness had lineman belt loops so I took climbing spec webbing and made a loop bigger than the sit drag loops. Then I girth hitched my bridge to both the sit drag and webbing that’s attached to my lineman’s belt loops. I just didn’t feel totally comfortable trusting only the sit drag as my fall arrest.

I’d love to see your mods!

!

I just dove in anf made a full blown mantis clone. Helped that i had a boat load of sewing experinece and equipment. I have not used a treestand since i made it. I have killed 3 deer out of it so far this year. I have since upgraded the main buckle to a cobra.

I see a bow arm in your pic. Is that for your bow or camera? Ive found a screw in step is ideal to hang the bow on when using the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s a camera arm, I was filming my fiancée.

I’m trying to figure out a way around the non-penetrating tree bark issue that doesn’t suck. I hunt with a recurve now and then and I’ve yet to find a good solution.

What kind of material are you using for the canvas?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        It’s a camera arm, I was filming my fiancée.

I’m trying to figure out a way around the non-penetrating tree bark issue that doesn’t suck. I hunt with a recurve now and then and I’ve yet to find a good solution.

What kind of material are you using for the canvas?
        Cordura nylon

Comment

I will be switching to the Mantis during the off season for next year. For public land hunting and the often long walks I put in I couldn't think of anything better then a saddle. Looking forward to getting everything together and giving it a try.

Comment

Been curious to try this for a while, but I have some back issues that cause me problems at times. Any of y’all have any opinion if that would be an issue? I figure cutting down on my pack weight would be an obvious benefit. Also are y’all pulling all day sits in these?

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
              Been curious to try this for a while, but I have some back issues that cause me problems at times. Any of y’all have any opinion if that would be an issue? I figure cutting down on my pack weight would be an obvious benefit. Also are y’all pulling all day sits in these?
              I do not think a saddle will aggrevate any back issues. You can run a back support strap if necessary. Im not doing all day sits but that is just beacuse i don't want to. Im not getting down beacause i am uncomfortable. Setup properly, a saddle is as comfortable or more so than a treestand.

Comment

I'll be in a saddle soon...

Comment

So one month into using the sit drag as a saddle there are some things I wish I had done differently and some things I still haven’t figured out.

Wishes:
                  - I wish I had sewn my old safety harness higher up on the fabric
                  - I wish I actually knew how to sew [emoji23]
                  - I wish I had made better adjustments for the leg loops
                  - I wish I could figure out how best to wear the sit drag with a backpack on. I carry too much crap, but my pack (Horn Hunter Mainbeam) has issues with the hip belt interfering with the pockets I’ve sewn onto the hip belt

Positives:

- I can literally hunt any tree I can climb. Not even joking.
                  - I think the molle pouches on the side are nearly a must. I thought beforehand that I would just use my pockets but the ability to know exactly where my tether and lineman’s belt are at all times (especially in the dark) are pretty fantastic

I know some guys run these things with a rock climbing harness. I hate that for the fact that the Rch slides down my legs as I walk no matter how tight I cinch it, and because if I’m running the sit drag without padding (the pretty pink spare yoga mat), it binds.

What I did do was take 1 inch tubular webbing and run it through the old lineman belt loops on the sewed on harness. I then made loops big enough that they connected to the sit drag loops, but are bigger than the sit drag loops so they don’t interfere when I’m hanging from the tree.

All in all, I have $60 into this project, which $35 of was the sit drag itself. The pockets I bought at a mil-surplus store. And a $5 speedy stitch from harbor freight. None of my sewing is life dependent (thank goodness [emoji23]) but some of the knots are, and they’re just girth hitched. I had the tubular webbing, the 8mm static cord and the 11mm assault line laying around, as well as the climbing carabiners.

In the future I’ll be purchasing a ropemans 1 or 2.

I know this sounds like I’m trying to sell one but if you’re thinking about a saddle, buy a sit drag! They’re nearly 1/10th the price and accomplish the same task. If you’re scared of the sit drag loops themselves, a rock climbing harness can be found for $30-$40. That’s still far below what you’ll pay for a Mantis, an Aerohunter, etc. Plus you can modify it how YOU want.

I’m loving this thing so far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8675.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	24564671Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8676.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24564672Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8677.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	24564673Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8678.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	24564674

Comment

I have been hunting out of mine for 3 years...
                    Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                      I just dove in anf made a full blown mantis clone. Helped that i had a boat load of sewing experinece and equipment. I have not used a treestand since i made it. I have killed 3 deer out of it so far this year. I have since upgraded the main buckle to a cobra.

I see a bow arm in your pic. Is that for your bow or camera? Ive found a screw in step is ideal to hang the bow on when using the saddle.

That’s a heck of a diy saddle right there!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        That’s a heck of a diy saddle right there!

Like i said, i came into this project with a wealth of sewing experience and quality machines. The saddle was a very easy project. I will post a pic of something i 100% made fron scratch to give you an idea.

I shot a buck out of my saddle last night. Thats #4 for the year.

Comment

Like i said, i came into this project with a wealth of sewing experience and quality machines. The saddle was a very easy project. I will post a pic of something i 100% made fron scratch to give you an idea.

I shot a buck out of my saddle last night. Thats #4 for the year.

Nice!

So is that belt you’re using just a tree strap?

I’m kinda sitting here thinking “why didn’t I think of that”, rather than going the salvaged harness route.

I’m finding that the leg loops aren’t exactly necessary but I think they make my fiancée feel better about this thing. She says it looks like I’m wearing a heavy duty Depends diaper [emoji52].

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                            Nice!

So is that belt you’re using just a tree strap?

I’m kinda sitting here thinking “why didn’t I think of that”, rather than going the salvaged harness route.

I’m finding that the leg loops aren’t exactly necessary but I think they make my fiancée feel better about this thing. She says it looks like I’m wearing a heavy duty Depends diaper [emoji52].
                            Yes it is a treestrap. Good eye. I have since upgraded the buckle to a cobra. Im probably going to give this one to a friend of mine and make another with a little stiffer webbing so the belt portion is more rigid and less floppy when putting it on.

Yea the legs straps aren't necessary but i find them beneficial. They keep the saddle from riding up off your butt.

Comment

Yes it is a treestrap. Good eye. I have since upgraded the buckle to a cobra. Im probably going to give this one to a friend of mine and make another with a little stiffer webbing so the belt portion is more rigid and less floppy when putting it on.

Yea the legs straps aren't necessary but i find them beneficial. They keep the saddle from riding up off your butt.

Do you have adjustments on the leg straps? And my other question is if you had any issues getting the belt height on the fabric situated. I can’t seem to get it just right because I wear mine when I hike in. I’ve gone the route of throwing my bridge over one shoulder to keep the sit drag from sliding, and leaving my legs outside the leg loops but it’s not ideal.

Anyone else got any ideas on how to wear a pack without it interfering with the saddle carry pockets?

My problem is that I carry my bibs/jacket inside my pack and my sticks attached to the backside of the pack. I wish I could figure out a more efficient way but it’s the best I can come up.

Comment

Working...
                              X