You Never know.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonus buck. Congrats to your boy.

Several years back I was tracking a deer on my cams. Other hunters to the N and S of me had regular pics of him. The linear distance was around 3 miles. You never know what will show up, especially in the late season. Limited food sources and late doe estrous can pull them in from a long ways off.

Comment

Congrats to your son on a great buck.

Comment

Congratulations to your son!

Comment

Great! Congrats to your son!

Comment

I have such mixed emotions towards game cameras. They are great tools, but they start to really effect your actual hunting. The past two years I have been running 6 cameras from Late May/Early June until February. I also haven't shot a mature buck in those two years because I find one specific deer and focus on it. The 4 years before that I killed a Pope and Young deer and ran maybe two cameras and not very consistently. I went out and just hunted, hunted a mature buck. Two of those deer I shot I had never seen before until the day I had them walk under my tree, a 14 point that was nearly 160" and an 8 point that was high 140s.

This year alone I passed up 3 deer that would have scored higher than the deer that I was hunting and were "mature" 5 year old deer. I'm determined to go back to hunting for maturity and not just a specific deer. And not rely on what the cameras are "seeing" because I let it effect whether I even want to bother with hunting too often.

Also, congrats to your son on a cool and unique deer!

Comment

nice congrats

Comment

That's a very cool buck! Congrats to your son!

Comment

Nice buck, congrats

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                    I have such mixed emotions towards game cameras. They are great tools, but they start to really effect your actual hunting. The past two years I have been running 6 cameras from Late May/Early June until February. I also haven't shot a mature buck in those two years because I find one specific deer and focus on it. The 4 years before that I killed a Pope and Young deer and ran maybe two cameras and not very consistently. I went out and just hunted, hunted a mature buck. Two of those deer I shot I had never seen before until the day I had them walk under my tree, a 14 point that was nearly 160" and an 8 point that was high 140s.

This year alone I passed up 3 deer that would have scored higher than the deer that I was hunting and were "mature" 5 year old deer. I'm determined to go back to hunting for maturity and not just a specific deer. And not rely on what the cameras are "seeing" because I let it effect whether I even want to bother with hunting too often.

Also, congrats to your son on a cool and unique deer!
                    I agree the game cams can be both good/bad, have positive/negaive impact on your hunting and even limit the places you may choose to hunt..... all I use the camera for is to see what has been showing up and see if I can develop any type of pattern with certain deer. When we get out there to hunt, I am going to hunt regardless of what is on the camera.

Comment

Working...
                    X