Any middle or high school 7v7 coaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any middle or high school 7v7 coaches?

I may be getting roped into coaching a 12u 7v7 team a doubleheafer league next month. We've played tackle and a few 5v5 flag leagues but never 7v7. Any of you fellas have experience coaching it? Any pointers? Strategies?

I know in every flag league or tournament we've played in it usually takes a game or 2 to find out/figure out how everyone skirts/bends the rules, just trying to get ahead of that learning curve if possible.

I went to our HS coach and got their 7v7 playbook and defensive coverages and used simplified routes and nomenclature. Also the middle school coaches might be able to help you put together a playbook and defensive schemes they want the boys familiar with as well.

As far as pointers for coaching - we used the 7v7 purely as a learning tool. May not have been as successful as we otherwise might have been, but always qualified for state and learned a bunch. We let our QB call most of the plays based upon coverage - we would help if he was struggling. We also would coach defense, but let the boys start figuring that out as well. 3rd and 3 - we would want a man coverage, 3rd and 15, deeper zone. Stuff like that.

Comment

Flag or tackle? How big is the field? Who all is eligible on offense? 10 yards or 20 for a first down?

Comment

I assume the HS coaches asked you to do this? They should be able to help you out and tell you what they want taught.

Comment

I have nothing to add, but it sounds like fun! My mistake coaching was that I let it stress me out....like, really bad where it would take all of the joy out of it. I'm working on that now and creating more fun memories coaching my kids. It's more about development than winning.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerBob View Post
            I went to our HS coach and got their 7v7 playbook and defensive coverages and used simplified routes and nomenclature. Also the middle school coaches might be able to help you put together a playbook and defensive schemes they want the boys familiar with as well.

As far as pointers for coaching - we used the 7v7 purely as a learning tool. May not have been as successful as we otherwise might have been, but always qualified for state and learned a bunch. We let our QB call most of the plays based upon coverage - we would help if he was struggling. We also would coach defense, but let the boys start figuring that out as well. 3rd and 3 - we would want a man coverage, 3rd and 15, deeper zone. Stuff like that.
            Gotcha, I know the middle school coaches so I may see if they have any input. Thank you.

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
            Flag or tackle? How big is the field? Who all is eligible on offense? 10 yards or 20 for a first down?
            It's flag or touch. I'm going tonight to get all the details. They didn't have any of the rules on the website.

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            I assume the HS coaches asked you to do this? They should be able to help you out and tell you what they want taught.
            No, just a team we are throwing together of my sons friends and kids he will be playing with next year in 7th grade.

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
            I have nothing to add, but it sounds like fun! My mistake coaching was that I let it stress me out....like, really bad where it would take all of the joy out of it. I'm working on that now and creating more fun memories coaching my kids. It's more about development than winning.
            👍👍we are just doing it for the experience. My son wants to try out for QB next year so I figured we could throw this together and see what happens before baseball

Comment

I'm trying to get one of the big brothers to coach it, he's a senior this year and going to Drake as a DB next year, but his dad said he may be getting a job lol

Comment

I bet the coaches up at school would be more happy to help you.

Comment

Get the coaches 7 on 7 play book. Get the kids there on time and warmed up. Tell each kid what letter they are. Choose a play, hold the binder over head and .... ready break.

Comment

Working...
                  X