• Show
Clear All

Big Bore Rifles

Lets talk about the big boom sticks.

Here is mine.

The 460G&A

FFF Safaris

Love them Loudenboomer guns.
    My favorite is my custom wildcat .338 WSM with Barnes bullets. My 2 bullet choices are 210 and 185 grain TTSX-BT @ 3050 and 3240 FPS. Very similar to Lazzaroni Galaxy loads. So fun to shoot and under .5 moa @ 100yds.

Comment

Great round. Much more user friendly than the .460 Weatherby (standard load). I prefer the old boring .404 parent round; but perhaps just due to nostalgia. :-)

I helped a friend work up loads for a .505 Gibbs last year and I can tell you that wasn't much fun. Finally resorted to shooting off sticks as from the bench it was pretty rough.

I have started to see more of you PHs going to synthetic stocked rifles after years of scoffing at the Americans and their "ugly rifles". Be safe and happy hunting!

Comment

.375 H&H is largest we have and I wish I had more for Cape Buffalo. He ate that 300 grain lead like vitamins.

Comment

I'm getting too old to handle the recoil so I don't currently have any Big Bore rifles, unless you count a couple of .45-70s. I got rid of my factory special run Ruger M77 in .458 Win Mag. I do still have a couple of Medium bores, a .338 Win Mag and a .375H&H.

Comment

Interesting caliber, never heard of it before, heard of many of the old big game calibers, from many years ago, then the common big game calibers, but not the 460 G&A. Looks like it should be a stout caliber. The only big game calibers I have ever had any experience with are the 375 H&H typically, then the 458 Win. Mag and the 460 Weatherby. I like that rifle of yours, everything I have see and heard is Brunos are great rifles.

It would be nice to go hunting over there some day, don't think I will ever have the time or money to do that, but have wanted to for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
              .375 H&H is largest we have and I wish I had more for Cape Buffalo. He ate that 300 grain lead like vitamins.
              You should have been shooting copper. Lead is for fishing weights and scofflaw duck hunters.

Comment

I have a bolt action 458 Lott. Still haven't made a kill with it but it's fun to have.

Comment

i like the old tried and true 45-70,,, like the marlin lever guns

Comment

My big bore stable consists of a single shot cva 45-70 and a home brewed 458 SoCom AR. I love those guns it's nice not needing a spotting scope at 100 yds.

Comment

It seems folk are talking up their mid bores. It has to be .40 or larger to be a “Big Bore”

Comment

my gunsmith buddy has a rifle that he acquired that is marked .450 velociraptor. he sent me a picture of the chamber cast and it makes a .338 lapua look pretty small. looks to be some sort of .505 Gibbs wildcat. I wanna shoot it if he can ever get any rounds loaded!

Comment

I have several big boomers but my favorite has to be my 50 BMG.

Fist full of power and dollars lol
                          230 grs of H-5010 behind a 750gr Amax.
                          Ballistic Coefficient is 1.05

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                            It seems folk are talking up their mid bores. It has to be .40 or larger to be a “Big Bore”
                            Does this imply the 340 Wby Mag rests in the mid bore column?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                              Does this imply the 340 Wby Mag rests in the mid bore column?
                              Yes .338 is smaller than .400

Even the 375 H&H is considered a "middle" bore

Comment

Working...
                              X