DIY timed protein feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY timed protein feeder

Anyone have good ideas for a diy timed protein feeder. Have a normal gravity tube feeder but can’t keep up with the $$ of the feed.

Screw a 5 gallon bucket to the bottom of your feeder - timer cut out slots so your deer can reach in there and get the protein. Either that are cut out the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket and put a trough under the feeder and let the protein drop down in it when your timer spins it out .

Comment

I have an idea on how you can convert certain gravity tube fed protein feeders to timed using Mike's Hammer unit without welding. I just converted one of mine, an ASF 2k Evo of, this past weekend. I'm pleased with how it turned out but will not have a final verdict on how much it regulated the feed consumption for a while.

Post up what kind of feeder you have, and pics if possible. I will work on uploading some pics of what modifications I made.

Tim

Comment

Krivomanoutdoors.com
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes I know how to do it, but am struggling with how to package it for sale.

Comment

buy a corn bank timer unit install in your current gravity feeder. problem solved

Comment

I have converted my free choice feeders to the hammer. They are awesome units

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                buy a corn bank timer unit install in your current gravity feeder. problem solved
                Corn yes, pellet protien I had trouble with last year. But I found the protien shaped like small dog food and it fed decent.
                Love my corn bank by itself as a silent corn feeder tho.

Comment

I don’t have any pictures of the gravity tube it’s just one that you buy and bolt onto bottom of barrel. My deer don’t seem to like the protein on the ground there’s always some of it after they’ve been there for a feed. May just because they like it in the tube and if I switch to feeding protein like corn they’ll get used to it. I was thinking for along the lines of using some redneck enginuity and fixing a bucket around spin feeder and letting it drop into a tube/trough. I have bad coons so was trying to stay away from troughs. Has anyone tried this? Share any tips? If I have to weld it will be my first time welding but u gotta start somewhere.

Comment

This is what a friend of mine did and he swears by it.

He has been running different variations of this for 10+ years and never had a clog.

The keys to making it work:
                    1) 4" hole
                    2) use a flat disc spinner plate, the larger the better.

I'll try and see if I can find pictures of the inside of his contraption.

If I were you I would just by a hammer unit. Just my opinion.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here are some pictures of how you can attach a Hammer feeding system to an All Seasons 2k Evolution protein feeder.
                      The silver parts are called unistrut, and besides metal shops you can find it at Home Depot. There are captive nuts designed for the slotted rails or you could probably get by with common nuts and bolts if you wanted to spend more time fiddling with the connections. There are 90 degree angle brackets holding the pieces of unistrut together. I drilled two holes in the top of the mechanism box and ran bolts up into the captive nuts in the piece of unistrut on top of the box.

ASF Evolution 2k pf Hammer conversion https://imgur.com/a/BXvAKVM

Thank you Mike for shipping me just the mechanism, box and timer and for answering my questions to get this done. I just installed it last weekend and will report back about it after some time has gone by. I have little doubt that it will work as expected.

Tim

Comment

I converted my free-choice protein feeder to a timed feeder and should have done this sooner. The Axis deer would eat 800 pounds in 7 days.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I used the Hammer unit and it was easy to install.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The feeder feeds about 6 pounds at a time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Get in touch with Mike with the hammer system and he has several adaptors for his unit to mount to feeders... worst case if you can weld a flat plat with 4 mounting holes you can probably get it adapted. He is more then willing to help ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X