No announcement yet.

Mesquite Country Sausage Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We only add pink cure to the sausage we plan on hanging for dried sausage. Otherwise our recipe is the same for fresh and dried. And we’re in the cold smoke for a few hours gang. The little homemade smoker I built has lasted me several years, built off a similar design from an old TBH thread from years ago. Just did ~300# last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ANSCAG View Post
      We only add pink cure to the sausage we plan on hanging for dried sausage. Otherwise our recipe is the same for fresh and dried. And we’re in the cold smoke for a few hours gang. The little homemade smoker I built has lasted me several years, built off a similar design from an old TBH thread from years ago. Just did ~300# last weekend.

Man this is the best food p&rn I’ve seen in a while. Awesome. Wish I had Smellavision.

Comment

I have been making sausage for a few years now and I can never get the casings to come out like the ones in the store. My sausage casings always seem to be thick and tougher, can anyone help me out on this please ? I have used hog casings that are sorta dry salted and another type in a liquid type salt solution. The tough thick casings really ruin a good sausage for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bcuda View Post
          I have been making sausage for a few years now and I can never get the casings to come out like the ones in the store. My sausage casings always seem to be thick and tougher, can anyone help me out on this please ? I have used hog casings that are sorta dry salted and another type in a liquid type salt solution. The tough thick casings really ruin a good sausage for me.

Don’t use the dried salted ones. When your sausage is done, immediately throw it in an ice bath. I have had luck in the past adding steam while I smoke the sausage as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bcuda View Post

Do you put the casings in warm to hot water prior to stuffing? Not sure what that does, but its how we’ve always done it. But if the waters too hot, it will scorch the casing. So beware of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

looks like your sausage rod holders are updisde down...

Originally posted by ANSCAG View Post

Comment

<

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                    looks like your sausage rod holders are updisde down...
                    Yep, those were the original half holes I cut thinking we would evenly space all of our rods. We way underestimated the amount of rods/shelf, and the precut holes caused us to be extremely inefficient with our space. We decided to flip them after the first year and use the flat sides so we have free use for wherever we want to rest our hanging rods. It's flat anyway, no need to worry about them rolling around on us.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll be try this one.

Comment

Milk Powder?

Looking forward to taking my first foray into sausage making and have been checking out this thread and spreadsheets. One of the common things I see mentioning by Texas pitmasters and Youtubers is using non-fat milk powder as a binder to increase the "gel-ing" effect. That is not mentioned on any of the spreadsheets. Has anyone done this?

Comment

One of the best threads on TBH

Comment

Working...
                          X