• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zztex View Post
    I have a third hand picture of Fiddy. Fiddy is WAY bigger
    And has more points[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

LUCKY'S LUCK RAN OUT

Now after Lil David killed that 8pt he really wasnt ready to quit hunting for the year. He cautiously reminded me that I had said I would put him on a trophy this year. I already had a deer in mind in another county.

There is this deer on the same stand with Fiddy that I call "Lucky". Jooger shot an arrow through him in 2015 during a live hunt here on the GS. The shot was high and I had him back in the corn that very night! He had a heck off a scar though and earned the name Lucky because of that. The next two years I saw lucky often but he was down hill from 2015. This year though he bounced back pretty nice at 8.5years old with a 6x5 frame and a split brow.

David saw thousands of pics of him this year and often mentioned how much he would like to hunt Lucky after I killed Fiddy. Well Fiddy had been MIA two weeks and I was seeing Lucky every dang hunt. On Friday evening, I called David and asked if he would like to hunt him the next day. He was pretty excited.

We were set a full hour before daybreak and I could make out the shape of several deer in and out of the feed pens before light. As legal time arrived, Lucky was not there. I was quietly discouraged because he had been in before light and stayed until 30 minutes or so after light, 4 mornings in a row.

Ten more minutes went by and suddenly a deer jumped a brushy fence row to my left with no warning. I quickly advised David that it was Lucky. He got the gun up quick as the deer stormed in to 40 yards before turning 180 and walking back the way he came. The buck quartered a little left and I was about to say , "Shoot when he gives you enough". I never got to say it as the 280 boomed and Lucky was plowing ground on his chest a few yards and fell dead.

We were at What-a-Burger eating breakfast by 7am while Ol Lucky drew a crowd on the tailgate out front.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GarGuy; 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Steve, you need to do a write up on the bobcat story that was killed with your bb gun!!

Sure sorry you didn't get a chance at Fiddy or K13, but if they show up next year, they should be awesome!! Even if Fiddy goes downhill, he'll still likely be a whopper! Our southern Liberty county property on the river was a total washout this year (and still is!). One doe taken off the property between opening of bow season and now! I'm hoping that just like happened a few years back, when the river stayed so high for so long, the deer came back before the hogs did and we had a good season that year... Also lots of underbrush was GONE!! I guess flooding does have some advantages to the woods though not very many...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Steve, you need to do a write up on the bobcat story that was killed with your bb gun!!

Sure sorry you didn't get a chance at Fiddy or K13, but if they show up next year, they should be awesome!! Even if Fiddy goes downhill, he'll still likely be a whopper! Our southern Liberty county property on the river was a total washout this year (and still is!). One doe taken off the property between opening of bow season and now! I'm hoping that just like happened a few years back, when the river stayed so high for so long, the deer came back before the hogs did and we had a good season that year... Also lots of underbrush was GONE!! I guess flooding does have some advantages to the woods though not very many...
          Every time I cross the river at 787 on my way to the lease, I think about you and wince when I see it still rolling. I sure hope next year the rains let up for while before season starts and allow you to get into the woods

Comment

Most here know that I really enjoy taking Dad hunting and putting him on a good deer. This year was no exception as he was really pumped about hunting Kicker3 and for good reason as K3 would likely have been the best deer of his life if we had killed him.

We hunted hard in Oct with me sitting with Dad. We passed buck after buck with his cross bow. Many were mature studs. One evening we had already passed three mature deer when just at dusk a mid 140s 9pt walked in and started eating corn at 18yds. this was a 7 year old I knew well and I asked Dad if he wanted to shoot him. he shook his head "NO". I knew we shouldnt be passing that deer with archery gear but it sure made me grin that he was holding out for K3.

Bow season ended with no shot at the target deer but we had a bunch of the other studs that were pretty regular. One evening, conditions were perfect to hunt a stand where K3 had shown a few times and a couple of other shooter deer were coming. I told Dad that I would bring my 457 Texan SS as I didnt have a specific target deer in Houston Co. If one of the other mature deer showed, i would shoot him with the air rifle and we would just keep sitting until dark.

By 430 we were covered in deer in a food plot. Suddenly,, the does all alerted with posture that just yelled, "Mature buck coming". He walked to the edge of the brush broad side at 68yds. I quickly identified him as a 7 year old I call Knarly10. He is a high horned typical ten with heavy "Knarly" bases and a big kicker off his right base. I eased the Texan up as he entered the food plot and whacked him. He bucked and ran but the does had no idea what happened. Shortly they returned to eating so we sat till dark.

Now conditions were crazy wet as we had record rainfall. I knew the food plot would be boggy and the woods not much better. I had left my phone and flashlight in the truck so I told Dad I would Go get the truck as close as possible and text my BIL to help get the deer out. when I got back to the stand, Dad wasnt there. He had headed down the plowed, sloppy, knee deep muddy food plot toward where I shot the buck. I knew that was a mistake.

I caught up with dad and found him extremely exhausted, unable to catch his breath and nausiated. with his known heart conditions it was clear this was a bad sign. I found a spot inside the woodline maybe 6ft across that didnt have standing water. The woods were literally running water 3 too 6 inches deep where the deer went. I quickly found a great blood trail even through it was so soaked, and started tracking my deer while my BIL was headed my way. Shortly I could hear Dad making a lot of noise. My BIL(Sam) arrived and I yelled at him to go check on Dad as he was closer.

Bad news... dad had sat down on the ground on the little dry hump I found. Being the only dry spot close, all the fire ants had evacuated to that little hump too. With no light, Dad had gotten covered in them. He was unable to get up so he had rolled off the hump and taken off most of his cloths. Sam found him laying in 6 inches of mud and water mostly nude, still covered in ants and cold. I got there quickly and we had heck getting him off the ground. His legs were so weak he couldnt walk and he just wanted to lay back down. The situation was serious and life threatening. I decided my buck would just have to wait until morning.

It took us two hours to get dad the 300yds out to where I could drive a truck. I had no service to call 911 and knew we had to get him out of the woods. We went one or two steps at a time with Sam and I on each side. All the while he was trying to lay back down but i knew we couldnt let him. we got him in the truck and he wanted the air conditioner on in his face even though it was low 60s outside. By the time I got back to the road he was drastically improved and absolutely refusing to go to the ER.

I got him home and dried out. he was exhausted but otherwise miraculously better condition. I wasnt sure he was going to make it out of the woods alive and I know he didnt think he was going to.

Two days later, dad went hunting without me for the first time in a couple years. A decent 8pt came in and he blasted him. He had passed a dozen larger deer this year but I think the episode in the mud made him wonder how many more hunts he had. Good for him. Congrats Dad on a nice buck. I love you.

I ended up finding my deer the next day but sadly he was soiled and the scavengers had been working on him.
            Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations to your pops! And glad he made it through with no problems!

Comment

Great buck for your dad ! Thanks for the write-up !

Comment

GG, I'm glad to hear that your dad recovered from that...mercy, that could have been a bad deal for sure

Congrats to him on knocking one down again this year...I always enjoy reading about his successes

Comment

Great story with a perfect ending, I hope your Dad makes a full recovery and gives 'em hades next year!

Comment

Gar Guy asked me to post pics of the deer he referenced in his story that the predators found before he did. Heck of a buck.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	24568310

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations to you and your Dad! Those are two nice bucks. So thankful that your Dad came through that ordeal okay and that your BIL was there to help.

Comment

I am extremely glad the wet hunt with your Dad ended well. Great animals your group killed this year.

Rwc

Comment

Glad pops is ok! Great deer!

Comment

Thanks TildenHunter. Thats KnarlyTen. I heart shot him with a 280gr 45ca.

Comment

Love reading up on this thread!
                                Very happy you both got your deer.
                                And even more happy he’s still in the woods doing what he loves with the one he loves,
                                His Son!
                                Great write up and great deer.
                                Congrats to both of you.
                                Keep making those memories brother.

Comment

Working...
                                X