Question about creating house plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about creating house plans

I’ve never built a new house from the ground up. Always just bought them already built in the past. I’m ready to get some house plans drawn up. It’s very hard for me to visualize how I’d like the layout, much less every little detail, from a piece of flat paper. My question is: does anyone have computer programs that will create a more “virtual” set of plans that are 3 dimensional? Any recommendations here?

Find a plan online & tweak it to fit your needs. Once you get rolling on ideas they'll never stop coming! I finally had to tell myself to stop as I was going overboard. The house I was building probably wouldn't have good resale but it was going to be EXACTLY how I wanted it.

Comment

I went to a place that had bunches of house plans. Found four I liked, got pics of them, brought them home and my wife picked my favorite. Bought the whole set and built the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        I went to a place that had bunches of house plans. Found four I liked, got pics of them, brought them home and my wife picked my favorite. Bought the whole set and built the house.
        What kind of place are you referring to that you can view a lot of plans? We are about to be looking to build ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
          What kind of place are you referring to that you can view a lot of plans? We are about to be looking to build ourselves.
          Twenty-two years ago and I certainly can't remember the name, but it was just a place that sold house plans to build by. You got to see the floor plan for free, but you had to buy the actual build plans.

Comment

you can hire an architect that can sit down with you and design something exactly like you want.

there are tons of websites for house plans, my wife sends me new ones every day from "farmhouseplans.com or countryhouseplans.com" or whatever.

Comment

I’m looking for something more than just sketch lines on a piece of paper. I’m looking for some one that has computer programming that you can see a “ virtual layout” of the house plans. Like walking into the room and panning left and right on the computer screen. I know this kind of stuff is available, I see it on the house renovation tv shows. I just don’t know who/where to go that has it.

Comment

BillM on here is who did my plans. Get with him for sure. He did a great job and easy to deal with. Not sure on getting a 3D view but I would definitely recommend talking to him.

Comment

Luckily for us, my wife really likes a Tilson home plan, so we got to see a built version of the home already. That was awesome.

She wants to make adjustments to the floor plan, so we will still have to go to an architect unless we use tilson.

You can see all tilson floor plans online as well. Tilson has very generous room sizes and we really liked a lot of their plans. Worth looking in to!

Comment

In.

So far plans are much easier than finding someone willing to work

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Let your wife do it so it ain’t your idea is the best I can tell you

Comment

I downloaded a few plans online and took them to a local architect and he tweaked to match my sq ft preference and my elevations on my property. This is important when submitting plans to the city for approval

Comment

Shoot me a PM if you get a chance...

Comment

Go here and download the "Shape" program.
                            Get BricsCAD Shape, free 3d model design software for conceptual design. Model your ideas with CAD accuracy. Ideal for architects & designers.

It is free program, if you are visual and computer literate it is fairly easy to use.

Full disclosure, I work for the company that develops this software. But not the Architectural division.

I did play with the program a year ago and thought it would have been nice when I built my home 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              Let your wife do it so it ain’t your idea is the best I can tell you
                              Lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X