• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you cut this stock

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	25167097 I’m cutting the stock way down for a smaller 5 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A chop saw worked great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You adding a recoil pad?
      Last edited by Smart; 01-11-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Post some pics of how your doing the recoil pad. I’ve thought about doing this on a Ruger as well just not sure how to reattach the pad.

Comment

I don’t know what you could do but adding some weight in that stock would help with recoil I think.

Comment

Get two wood dowels about 3/4 " in diameter and one inch long.Glue them in place where the butt pad screws go. Fill the buttstock with spray foam and trim it even with back of stock when cured.

Get a Pachmayr Decelerator pad close to the dimensions of the butt stock and transfer screw holes to the wood dowels. Drill some pilot holes and mount the new pad.

Scribe some lines around the pad, and use a belt sander to to trim the pad to the lines. Remount pad and finish sanding to profile.

Comment

Looks like you did just fine. If it a a small calibre... .223 just a small padded butt plate should work...heck just glue one on. You can get another stock fairly easily when the time comes.

have fun...

edit... Radar's post sounds pretty good...

Comment

I did the same for my daughter last year on a Remington 700. To put the recoil pad back on I cut a section of 2x6 and shaped it to fill in end of the stock. Took a bit of sanding and shaping with a belt sander but it worked. I then filled the opening of stock with spray foam and epoxied the wood piece in place. Then able to screw recoil pad ( which also had to be ground down to match stock) to wooden insert. It has held up through several shooting sessions and three hunts just great.

Comment

A little spray foam and a slip on recoil pad and you'll good as new

Comment

The stock is a lot smaller so I’m going to use a slip on pad. He’s only 5 so I took a lot off. It’s a 6.5 creedmoor

Comment

I am not a huge fan of new cartridges but the 6.5 cm really leaves room to grow. Unlike the .243 in my opinion. He could re-stock that weapon and shoot it for life.

Comment

That’s the plan. I’m just hoping he sticks with it

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          Get a Pachmayr Decelerator pad .
                          Best recoil pad made in my experience and opinion. A true recoil-tamer, and it tolerates most of the solvents which turn other pads gooey very well.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                            Best recoil pad made in my experience and opinion. A true recoil-tamer, and it tolerates most of the solvents which turn other pads gooey very well.
                            This. But I had a fellow glue a shaped piece of aluminum to attach the pad to.

Good for you to get him a rifle that fits.

BP

Comment

I use a fine tooth blade on a sliding miter saw to cut stocks down. Make sure the stock is level and angle is correct. Don't assume it's 90 degrees to the comb. If not you are going to change the pitch.

Comment

Working...
                              X