Need advice on what to do with llamas on property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    I bet they'll eat pretty good. Lol. You should at least be able to make jerky with them.
    I work for a South American company and a lot of people have eaten them. But they recommend Alpaca over llama for the meat quality. I guess its our Axis vs whitetail.

Comment

Originally posted by RW2016 View Post
      Where are they located?
      I might be able to come get them
      Appreciate it but we are trying to handle it ourselves for now. At least until we make total fools of ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        If catching them is an option I would try that to get some money for feed

If it turned into a big ol cluster I would shoot them

How many you talking about ? 3? 30?
        We think 6-10.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
          Check the laws before shooting them. It might get you in trouble........a lot of trouble
          Thats the thing. I didnt exactly see something that mentioned them other than nuisance animal since they are technically farm animals.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            Check with your neighbors to see if they are missing them. Llama's run with goats to protect the herd. Not sure if they are considered livestock.
            We think they are from the last owner. He used to have sheep, llamas, and other wool bearing animals. Its a pretty big thing or used to be a pretty big industry in the area. We burned a couple bags of super old "shavings" or whatever you call the stuff after you sheer an animal.

Comment

They are live stock for all intent purpose . If you want to shoot one or all have at it .. I hear they taste good . Tons of recipes for the meat .

Not much sport int it but then again some high fence places are about the same so . have at it .

Comment

Rage in the cage!!!! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                  Pm sent
                  I tried to but I think it said I couldnt because my post count is under 15. I appreciate the offer though! But we are trying to make fools of ourselves first before we bring someone else on the ranch. I was just looking for advice first.

Comment

There was a new Yorker posing with one a few years ago and the post "read" got my first Elk. Hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by caalexander4 View Post
                      Appreciate it but we are trying to handle it ourselves for now. At least until we make total fools of ourselves.
                      Looks like a solution my friend.... better than just shooting them????? Orrr??

Comment

SELL DAY HUNTS! Lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I got nothing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2glOppqBRg"]Napoleon Dynamite - Eat the Food! [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Lama are great live stock guardians. They cost a pretty penny also. Most are not real friendly but that is what makes them great live stock guardians. They will stop predators into a mud hole.

Which is worse for the ranch. Predators, or corn stealing lama's. If you trap one i will take it.

Comment

Talked with a buddy of mine who is a GW down in STx. Here’s his response when I asked if there are any laws/regs against shooting wild llamas:

“Wild llamas? I can’t think of any. But be careful, I don’t believe they are listed as a domestic farm animal in the law, but people commonly use them for agricultural purposes and show them, so this can be used as a defense in court if u kill someone else’s that escaped and appeared to be wild. Killing someone else’s llama can definitely lead to problems since in Texas you cannot kill someone else’s livestock and carries high penalties. If they are wild or not, and causing property destruction, nuisance or depredating, and you cannot or have not been able to get the owner to take action to prevent this, you can protect yourself, your livestock, your property and yourself. In addition to this, if they appear to be wild, but are owned by someone else, those may be personal property so just be careful. At the end of the day, if they are wild, I don’t see a problem with it”

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by AggieDoc08; 01-04-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

If they've been there for 10 years, they belong to the landowner. He said to deal with them, so go for it.
                                I'd come shoot one or two for Dog Food. Or come pick them up once shot. (depending on location)
                                Might get western trying to catch them alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X