Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Guy gets hit by stingray and gives props to Everlast for it not going in farther... lmao...

I'm beginning to believe Philip when he says they're usless...

Not my pic...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Walking backwards I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      Dammit. Boy went with that black anchor. Hopefully it has a good warranty.
      [emoji23][emoji1787]

I've said it before.

Once you go black you cant get back

I'm not sure what to do about the ray guard deal. I just didnt find anything else

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        [emoji23][emoji1787]

I've said it before.

Once you go black you cant get back

I'm not sure what to do about the ray guard deal. I just didnt find anything else

I’ll I-pilot back if I have to. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          I’ll I-pilot back if I have to. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That'll work. Sit back, drink beer and tell R2D2 home[emoji1787]

Comment

X2 Ipilot!

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
              I have never really fished the surf. Probably 2 times in the last 20 years. Both of those times have been from a boat, backing in and anchoring.

When you are looking to fish the surf, how to you decide where is "right"? Are you looking for bait sign or is the game catching them running up and down the bars? I have heard a lot of differing strategy on surf fishing and it got me pretty confused. We fish out of POC so walking in and wading is pretty hard unless its flat and you can take the boat in shallow enough to hop out. I am thinking I would like to try the iPilot in the surf when its calm enough and see what its all about.
              I primarily fish it by boat these days. I rarely get to wade the surf anymore because I usually have customers with me and it's a rare day that I have customers who will get out of the boat. So I use my trolling motor and anchor and we fish it out of the boat.

OK, fishing the surf is one of my favorite things and has been all my life. I've spent many years watching and waiting for green tides to kiss the sand. And I have been a student of it for 40 years now. I have gotten pretty good at it. I'll pass on a few things for you to think about.

Fish are fish and the same things are important in the surf as in the bay. Water quality, water movement, structure and bait presence are all important. The fish are going to use those things to their advantage. You can use those things to locate fish too. Just keep in mind that structure means different things in different situations. I'm not talking jetties or huge drop offs or shell reefs. I'm talking bars, guts and washes. Also the surf will be loaded with bait, often all bait is not bait to a trout. There may be 10 billion pogies in the surf and the trout are on finger mullet. So being in bait means you need to be in the right bait. And that takes observation to figure out. But in general they are going to eat bait like finger mullet over pogies and big mullet. Or the surf may be full of big white shrimp and they may be on those. If you see big shrimp hopping out of the water regularly... there is a clue. As to structure there are bars and guts paralleling the beachfront and the fish do move up and down those bars and guts. You can pick out any random spot and chances are some trout will swim by and you will catch some and may well even limit out. That is what most people do when they fish the surf. But there are other spots where the fish will stack up and you can literally sit in them and catch fish every cast until you are worn out. Trout tend to concentrate in what I call washes. A wash is a deeper hole that goes thru the sand bars. They are spots where you will see water flowing heavily away from the bank. The swells push water and stack it on the bank. The water must return back out. What happens is you get stretches of beach where there is a longshore current and that current is running down the beach parallel to the shore. It is water looking for a way to get back out to deep water. When it reaches a wash it then turns and goes out away from shore back to deep water. These spots are where you run into a strong undertow and people can drown in them. You have to be careful wading around them. You can go from belly deep to over your head in one step and the current rips through them. So you have a structure change, a hole, and you have strong current, moving water... hmmm... maybe that's a good spot to look for trout. It's like sitting on a food conveyor belt for a trout. The flow washes down the beach and then carries bait out off the bank and into that hole where the trout are waiting. Hit the right wash and you'll catch trout almost every cast.

It'll take time to spot them and there are lots of them. Not every one is going to hold a wad of fish. You have to put all the pieces together. Water quality, current, bait, and the ambush point. Some washes will hold a few fish, some will hold none. When you figure out where they are it's just lights out good. And you can sit there anchored up and just catch and catch until you are tired of catching. It's not unusual for my groups to have 20 or 25 good ones in the box in 15-30 min in that situation and I have seen many grown men put up their rods, sit down and just say "enough" after a couple hours of catching them almost every cast.

Now, one last thing is you have to fish it when it's right. And by right I mean it has to lay down, of course, but it can also go too long and get too clear, When the surf lays you usually have about 3 prime days and then every day after that it continues to clear you end up with more and more sharks, jacks, mackeral and skipjacks up in the surf and less trout. If you get there and you can see the shells on the bottom in 6' of water you are likely going to have a tougher day. So you don't want it too sandy and rough but you don't want it too clear either.

And then there is tide. The higher the tide the closer in they will be. As the tide falls out the fish will drop out deeper as well. So keep that in mind too.

It's just one big puzzle and it takes a little time to learn to read it and understand all the pieces. But it's worth it.

Comment

I have a little funny one from the other day. I was out drifting with a party and the wind was really light which makes drifting pretty tough. It also happened to be a weekend morning and it was totally nuts in the harbor before we left. There was a line all the way out to the highway and down the highway waiting to launch. There were boats and people everywhere. I just told myself I wasn't going to let 'em get to me. Just go do what I can and don't get ticked off. So I load up my customers and we head out for a morning of drift fishing.

First spot we caught a few and the crowd just became unbearable. In 30 min we had 20-25 boats stop and line up behind us, which is better than cutting us off but you still get people who aren't catching and drive off thru the fish as they leave. So I had enough and decided to go get away from the crowd. There is an area I hadn't fished in awhile and no boats around so I figured I'd check it and see if anything was there.

So there we are drifting with a southwest to west southwest breeze and very light. We are barely moving but drifting generally to the east or eastnortheast. I lined us up on some popcorn reefs and we were closing in on them. A little Blue Wave boat came along running from west to east just north of us. He runs by maybe 100 yards north of us. As he gets up to us he turns south and runs right in front of me about 40-50 yards ahead of us, if that. He ran right over the little reefs I was drifting up to so patiently and totally cut off our drift. As he got across in front of me he starts turning back west. So he was going to run around me and head back the way he came. He was looking to see what we were doing. Likely looking for bent rods. I was trying my very very best to not pop a blood vein. They were going very slowly, on plane but slow, and it was very still and quiet. I raised my hands up like 'what the heck man?' "come on...' I didn't say a word, didn't scream, didn't holler, didn't shoot he bird. I just held up my hands so he would know that wasn't cool. I clearly hear the driver holler over his motor to the passengers "Did that guy wave?" Then he hollered again "Did that guy just wave?" One of the other guys in the boat turned around and replied strongly and loudly "I think he just told you to **** off!"

Turns out he must have been some sort of a mind reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Guy gets hit by stingray and gives props to Everlast for it not going in farther... lmao...

I'm beginning to believe Philip when he says they're usless...

Not my pic...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I used to wade. Loved it. Now I look down from the poling platform at those dang things and don’t miss it one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                    I was trying my very very best to not pop a blood vein. They were going very slowly, on plane but slow, and it was very still and quiet. I raised my hands up like 'what the heck man?' "come on...' I didn't say a word, didn't scream, didn't holler, didn't shoot he bird. I just held up my hands so he would know that wasn't cool. I clearly hear the driver holler over his motor to the passengers "Did that guy wave?" Then he hollered again "Did that guy just wave?" One of the other guys in the boat turned around and replied strongly and loudly "I think he just told you to **** off!"

Turns out he must have been some sort of a mind reader.

The bluewave had no idea what he was doing and probably wondered why yall were just randomly fishing in the middle of the bay. Riding around clueless to the reefs below his boat. All my veins would have popped.

Comment

@Mayhem - What happen with going to Shoalwater? Congrats on the new boat.

Since I have had my midtower, it changed my perspective on wade fishing since I can actually see all the rays swimming.

Comment

Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                        @Mayhem - What happen with going to Shoalwater? Congrats on the new boat.

Since I have had my midtower, it changed my perspective on wade fishing since I can actually see all the rays swimming.

All things considered, I liked the fit and finish of the Majek better. I got more options on the 20 ultra cat than I would have with the shoalwater for less money. I added a power pole and I pilot trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          All things considered, I liked the fit and finish of the Majek better. I got more options on the 20 ultra cat than I would have with the shoalwater for less money. I added a power pole and I pilot trolling motor.

Comment

Speaking of rays, @Marshhunter and myself were wading boiler bayou in the late spring this year. The water temp was low enough we were still wearing waders. We saw no less than 8 rays in that cove. The water was almost gin clear and with polarized glasses you could see everything. I got less than 6’ from one and stuck my rod tip in the water and poked him. That ray turned around and came after me, no joke. [emoji15]

I have a whole different view of thing when I can actually see them.

Comment

All these reports of people getting hit by rays, makes me wonder WHY there aren't waterproof boots that are made of the same material as snake boots. Think I may buy me some lace up snake boots and put some drain holes near the bottom of them.

I just bought my 10 year old those wade boots with the ray guards too... Thinking I wasted my money on them now.

Mayhem, You got a nice looking sled.

Comment

Rays don't really bother me at all. I wear the guards, if I get hit, I get hit. If I had to fish out of the boat all the time, I'd quit fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X