No announcement yet.

Bush gun, what should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re thinking lever gun, I’d go with the 45-70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Something like a Marlin Guide Gun, in a 45-70 would be nice, a AR 15 carbine, in either 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM would work very well also. Some form of tactical 12 ga. with a mixture of slugs and buck shot would work great for busting pigs in the brush.
      I pieced together a 458 SOCOM, so I would have a fun big bore brush gun. That can chunk some heavier chunks of lead, if I choose someday, for things like moose. Just incase that opportunity comes along, since I keep wanting to go to Alaska.
      Another option, would be to find a Winchester 94 in 375 Winchester, those make good pig guns, we used to have one. Possibly a Savage 99 in a 358 Winchester. Or the ultimate in brush gun, there is a company, that makes a M1 Garand in 458 Win. Mag., that would be hard to beat. I want one of those so bad.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
        When i think about a brush gun it is a heavy caliber short barrel with easily acquired open sights. Shots have to be very close, because no bullets can survive hitting any sticks without deflection. The farther the stick is from what you are shooting at, the further the bullet deflects.
        I once shot at a turkey 50 yds away, and when i fired i saw a mesquite twig i couldn't see in the scope fall. and the turkey ran off unscathed. Caliber 7mm magnum. Since, i have made sure any deer i shot at were well clear of any obstructions.
        Many years ago i read an article in one of the gun mags where they set up some dowels with targets behind them at different ranges. Nothing they shot could hit the targets near the aiming point if it hit a dowel and was lees than a few yards past the dowels. So today when i think of a brush gun, i think of the gun i described above.

I remember that article. I missed a turkey once, because it turned out there was a strand of barbed wire, that was being blocked from view, by my horizontal crosshair. I cut that strand of barbed wire cleanly, missed the turkey completely, that was only a 40 or 50 yard shot, the barbed wire was probably 20 yards away from me.

Comment

I had to laugh when I saw the “no bullet shoots through sticks” thang.

I’ve shot through small trees with 444 SuperPerformance and the following two are crazy:

Heavy .444 Marlin Ammo - 335 gr. L.F.N.-G.C.(2,025fps/M.E.3,049 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Underwood Ammo has flat rate shipping on a wide selection of premium ammunition. Shop today for specialized self-defense and hunting ammo and more

If they make it, I try it.

If you aren’t gonna scope it and it really is intended for closer range, 30-30 or 44 mag

If you want a 6 1/2 lb dream to carry rifle vvvvvvvvv

Sights

We manufacture the best night sights, sight installation tools, ghost rings, AR BUIS, shotgun beads, and optic mounts for all your favorite gun brands.
          Last edited by Johnny44; 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
              I shoot a 6" barrel in the bush. Depending on the cougar the barrel could be longer.......

Disappointed in the green screen's lack of humorous responses

Comment

Guess I'm old fashioned, 30-30 Marlin 336.

If it were bear country I could see getting a 45-70.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                  Guess I'm old fashioned, 30-30 Marlin 336.

If it were bear country I could see getting a 45-70.

Comment

45-70 is hard to beat factory ammo from mild to elephant. I am a Marlin guy so find an older JM stamped Guide Gun or in my opinion better would be to find an 1895 rifle pistol grip stock and cut the barrel down seems like the pistol helps tame the recoil.

Comment

I'd go with a Marlin in .45-70, with a Marlin .444 as second choice with a good ghost ring sight.

Comment

I liked carrying my Marlin 45-70 and shot deer and hogs with it. It is fun to shoot and looks cool but nothing I ever shot with it fell over. It does make a big hole but it has little shock value and yes things die but not right away so I quit carrying it in hog country for that reason. I read where an African PH said they have lost more game to a 45-70 than any other caliber.

Comment

20 gauge Remington pump, open sights, rifled slug barrel. Short, accurate, and carries a thump.

Comment

AR in 300 blackout

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              20 gauge Remington pump, open sights, rifled slug barrel. Short, accurate, and carries a thump.
                              Best suggestion so far, if actually in the brush and need a beater gun.

I like lever guns and own a bunch in all kind of calibers, but a 30-30 or 35 Rem in a saddle carbine would be hard to beat for a back up rifle in Texas.

Comment

As a couple of others have previously stated, a good Marlin 30-30 would be my choice. It may not be as sexy as some of the other calibers, but it will get the job done on Texas whitetails. As others have said, the myth that a big heavy caliber will shoot through brush into the target is just that, a myth. Twigs and sticks will deflect bullets, even at close range. Good 30-30s are readily available, and 30-30 ammo can be found everywhere and still runs around $15.00 a box for 150 or 175 grain soft point bullets. Plus, as I get older I prefer guns with less recoil, especially if I am pursuing game that does not require a heavy recoiling cartridge. I also would assume a 30-30 would weigh less than a 45-70 so carrying a lighter gun with less recoil also appeals to me. Finally, a gun whose shells are less expensive and that recoil is less translates into a gun I am likely to practice with more and become more proficient with. Just my 2 cents, but in the end, any of the above calibers/guns will get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                                X