AR Question/Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Question/Advice

I’ve been looking to bump up the AR platform to something with a little more thump. This would mainly be for my boys to use for hunting deer and me for hogs. Most shots would be limited to 100 yards or less for them.

I want to keep the recoil / power trade off to the low end. What is the recommendation of the green screen? I’ve considered .300 blackout and recently discovered the 6.5 Grendel. I’m sure there are other options.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What length barrel? Less than 16” and under 100 yard shots either are good. 16” or longer 6.5G all day and it will become your favorite hunting gun.

Comment

I’m not partial on barrel length. 16” is easy to handle. I don’t want to go much longer than that - if at all.

Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I were you I’d get a 16” Grendel

Comment

6.8 SPC
          300 Blackout
          & 6.5

All great choices...stay with 16"

Comment

45 Raptor

Comment

Look hard at the 7.62x39 in an AR. Cheap ammo to play with, good hunting ammo available, enough butt to handle bigger hogs. All in a rifle that can be had for cheap. I use the Wolf/Tula 154 gr. SP ammo at 12 bucks for 40 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
                Look hard at the 7.62x39 in an AR. Cheap ammo to play with, good hunting ammo available, enough butt to handle bigger hogs. All in a rifle that can be had for cheap. I use the Wolf/Tula 154 gr. SP ammo at 12 bucks for 40 rounds.
                I agree... I’ve switched 2 of my thermal setups over to this caliber and have had great results. One of them has a 16” and the other a 10.5” barrel. Shooting the 124gr tulammo sp’s and it’s rough on hogs

Comment

Grendel. and you can use it a good bit farther if you so desire,,,

Comment

X2 for the 6.8 SPC

Comment

I’ve shot my Grendel out to 500 with just hold overs. It gets my vote. Oh and it is a pig killing machine.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
                        x3 for this. Hyper accuracy isn't what ARs are about, and 7.62x39 has better displacement and is cheaper to shoot.

Comment

450BM is a true thumper of beast!
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is what makes me keep leaning towards a 6.5. Cheap ammo for having fun or stacking deep. Good selection of quality ammo for hunting or target shooting.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-...-wpa-wolf-ammo

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
                              X2 for the 6.8 SPC
                              x3

Comment

Working...
                              X