Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hows everyones hunts been?

Comment

Took a shot at a doe last weekend and missed, only deer I saw. Put in 8 miles just to see her.

This weekend, only put in 4 tough miles but ran into a lot of pressure and didn't see a single deer.

Got stopped and checked by game warden again, second time this season.

I am ready for this weekend, going to camp miles in.
      Good luck everyone, be safe, make sure to have your hunters ed card if you are young enough
      Hope that the jerks on horse back running deer are not around!

Comment

Hey getting to see one is half the battle. Hoping to get there Friday by noon. Good luck to all. Looks like it wont be too cold.

Comment

I’m headed up there Friday morning as well. Not worried about the game wardens, but I am a little nervous about how much pressure there is going to be out there. Weather is looking great for the weekend.

Chastings, how much water do you carry when you stay backcountry? I’d like to pack way back in myself, but the water issue is keeping me from doing it. Figured I’d just plan on a long predawn and post dusk hike to get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post
            I’m headed up there Friday morning as well. Not worried about the game wardens, but I am a little nervous about how much pressure there is going to be out there. Weather is looking great for the weekend.

Chastings, how much water do you carry when you stay backcountry? I’d like to pack way back in myself, but the water issue is keeping me from doing it. Figured I’d just plan on a long predawn and post dusk hike to get the best of both worlds.
            One option is to pack in some water, but leave more in the truck? Depends how mobile that way you want to be.

Comment

Saw on Facebook where someone took a pretty good buck and a doe with a rifle out there.

Comment

I purchased these from amazon paired with a Platypus hydration:

5L with this setup weights 10 pounds.

If I am by the lake I filter from it, otherwise pack in a min of 4L per day.

Comment

Can you LM veterans answer a question for me?

Are fires allowed in the fire pits at the Lower Plumb Creek campground? Is a burn ban in effect that prevents fires at the campground? If fires are allowed at the campground, am I allowed to bring firewood from my house to burn there? I’ve been to other parks/campgrounds that don’t allow you to bring your own firewood, so I just want to clarify before I load the truck!

Thanks!

Comment

TGKIL raises a good question. I’m going to be up there in Dec and need to know this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post
                      Can you LM veterans answer a question for me?

Are fires allowed in the fire pits at the Lower Plumb Creek campground? Is a burn ban in effect that prevents fires at the campground? If fires are allowed at the campground, am I allowed to bring firewood from my house to burn there? I’ve been to other parks/campgrounds that don’t allow you to bring your own firewood, so I just want to clarify before I load the truck!

Thanks!
                      I know no fires aren't allowed in the backcountry but not sure about the campsites. Best action to take would be to call the rangers station. They would be able to give you the most accurate and up to date info on fires. I will add the number below.

Lake Meredith - (806)857-3151

Comment

Yes fires are allowed in the fire rings only and you can bring your own wood or find dead wood around:

Comment

One thing I've always wondered when it says no fires in backcountry. Does that mean I cant use my jet stove either, or just no ground fires.

Comment

Chastings, I read the same thing, but I know they only update that page once a year! I was curious if anyone had had an issue with a campground fire.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! See y’all in two days!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                              One thing I've always wondered when it says no fires in backcountry. Does that mean I cant use my jet stove either, or just no ground fires.
                              Jet boil type stoves are usually excluded from fire bans unless they are spelled out specifically. You should be gtg

Comment

Has anyone ever been up there the last week of the season and actually seen any deer? That’s about the only time I’ll be able to get away. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X