No announcement yet.

Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gald y’all bump the tread. I was wondering on the white runs. I was wanting to take my kayak down this weekend to fish. But ended up building fence. Anyone want to plan a meet up to fish in a couple week I can bring 2 yaks down. I live in Ozona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

New to this Forum. Found this thread that interests me. I’ve been a traditional bow hunter since 1968. Just took a winter position at Seminole Canyon SP. as Park Host/Maintaince. So I will be living 30 minutes from Amistad from Sept to Dec. I’ve done some research on the area, rules/regs, etc. but can use any advice or pointers anyone can give.
      Also looking at maybe picking up a boat. Looks like it might be handy.

Comment

Welcome Pete! I'd advise hunting Amistad during the week if at all possible and avoid any holidays like the plague. LOL... Definitely go check it out though it's a fun hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          Welcome Pete! I'd advise hunting Amistad during the week if at all possible and avoid any holidays like the plague. LOL... Definitely go check it out though it's a fun hunt.
          This ^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Good advice here. Check out all the five areas and see which one suits you. Not a lot of places to hang tree stands. Spot and stalk is awful difficult too. I've been going the last couple of years and have yet to kill anything, but I still enjoy going for the challenge.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys....being so close I should have lots of time to scout and figure things out.
              I’m pretty sneaky with lots of experience stalking caribou and Mt Goats for 20 years in The wide open Alaska tundra and mountains.

Comment

Welcome to the Green Screen.

Comment

99% of the people out there stalking only manage to tick off a lot of other hunters, it's quite a bit different here than Western style hunts. These animals are also highly pressured and spooky so if one hunter jumps them they run to the next county. There's simply not enough public land here to go around. I've hunted Amistad within 100 yards of 4 other hunters (one was my wife) so that might give you an idea of the crowds.

I am not the best hunter but I've made at least 1 kill the last 7 years in a row and pretty much everyone in my party has as well. If you want to come with us you're welcome to. This year is going to suck because my vacation time is burned in Colorado and Wyoming so I'm stuck to weekends only but I have a couple trucks up my sleeve to take advantage of the crowds. We usually setup a camp site with a few other hunters.

Comment

I will keep in touch on here. Like you suggested, I’ll most likely do weekend as my park schedule is flexible. I’ll send you a pm when I get settled in out there. By then I should be allowed to. I’m just a nubbin buck.

Comment

Sounds good. I typically wait until after Thanksgiving to start going to Amistad. Tired of spiders crawling all over me and being covered with spider webs while trying to walk quietly and it's just too darn hot.

Comment

Looks like I have to make 7 more post before I can answer a PM?

Comment

Originally posted by Airboatpete View Post
                          Looks like I have to make 7 more post before I can answer a PM?
                          There's a photography forum around here somewhere. People have been known to go in there and comment "nice pic!" or whatever 10 different times. lol... No big deal on the PM, I was just testing to see if you could receive one out of curiosity.

Comment

Never made it out last year. Trad bow as well here. Hopefully will be able to go out at least a couple times this season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Back at it

Hey guys and gals,

2 years of going to Amistad and it’s only getting better. Looking for some advice for December. I won’t be able to make it for Veterans Day like I usually do this year. Not sure when rut is but looking to catch some portion of it this year. Hope all is well with y’all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                                Good deal on the doe!

I think it sucks how many bad shots are taken. Not sure what folks are thinking launching 50 + yard shots and or shots at moving deer. I would be out of arrows if I took wild shots like that. More importantly, I am sure I would be very unhappy with the guy I see in the mirror if I was launching those type of shots.
                                In my home station, Fort Drum, NY, to be able to hunt with archery equipment you had to pass a shooting test. Random known distance and shot placement were the pass or fail components. Also, they would give you a quick word of mouth quiz on your equipment to see if you were up to date or if you were just “wasting their time”. What is y’alls thought on that? Would it be a possibility for Amistad if enough of us got together? Or would it be a sort of exclusion to new comers or others? Just seeing what y’all think on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X