East Texas NF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas NF

Have a question for some of you guys that hunt the NF's in East Texas.

Can you hunt all NF ground, or only what's included in a named WMA? And if you can hunt the remainder of NF ground, do the general rules/regs apply(except for the hunter orange, which seems to be mandatory for all hunters)? Thanks in advance.

Davy Crockett is all NF following standard state guidelines. No baiting allowed. Orange vest and hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mostly asking in regards to turkey hunting(I know there aren't but a couple of counties open to hunting Easterns) and pigs.

Comment

If you find turkeys on NF in east Texas, give me an update [emoji23] I’ve only seen them on private land over there.

Comment

I went to Davy Crocket 3 times in Oct/Nov and saw no signs of any other animals other than deer. Even then, not a ton of tracks. Maybe I just suck at hunting cause I kept reading it was good hunting out there. No signs of hogs, either.

But to answer your question, you can hunt all NF ground but if you step onto WMA, you need the Texas Public Hunting permit. Here's some links I saved that should give you all the info you need:
          https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd560376.pdf <---FAQ
          https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...telprdb5388057 <---Link farm for more info
          https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...d=fseprd557792 <---maps of land

Good luck bud.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            I went to Davy Crocket 3 times in Oct/Nov and saw no signs of any other animals other than deer. Even then, not a ton of tracks. Maybe I just suck at hunting cause I kept reading it was good hunting out there. No signs of hogs, either.

But to answer your question, you can hunt all NF ground but if you step onto WMA, you need the Texas Public Hunting permit. Here's some links I saved that should give you all the info you need:
            https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd560376.pdf <---FAQ
            https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...telprdb5388057 <---Link farm for more info
            https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...d=fseprd557792 <---maps of land

Good luck bud.

Thanks a bunch. That’s what I thought, but had a hard time finding the info.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
              Davy Crockett is all NF following standard state guidelines. No baiting allowed. Orange vest and hat.

Not true.

The southern portion of Davy Crockett has the Alabama Creek WMA Type II area. An annual public hunting permit is required.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                Not true.

The southern portion of Davy Crockett has the Alabama Creek WMA Type II area. An annual public hunting permit is required.

You’re right, forgot to mention that.

Comment

Check on specific NF, but you don't need orange for turkey, unless they made a change after last season.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                    Thanks a bunch. That’s what I thought, but had a hard time finding the info.

You are welcome and good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Comment

There are lots Turkey on East Texas NF lands
                      The Moore Plantation WMA type II permit, is now draw unit ( we released turkeys there- I'm on state board NWTF). No orange requirements, Turkey will see that....ha
                      Good luck out there

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
                        The Moore Plantation WMA type II permit, is now draw unit ( we released turkeys there- I'm on state board NWTF). No orange requirements, Turkey will see that....ha
                        Good luck out there

Nice!

Comment

Good luck out there

So Moore plantation is draw only now?

Comment

Good luck out there

Nice bird! I've been hunting the Moore Plantation for several years and have heard and seen lots of birds in there. Never been able to kill one there but its always exciting to hear those easterns light up the woods in the morning. Didn't know they changed it to a draw system. Was there a particular reason behind the change?

Comment

Good luck out there

I'd heard there were turkey out there, but this is the first one I've ever seen.
                              Nice work!

Comment

Working...
                              X