X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother and I will be out there, hopefully they left us a few nilgai

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir! Where are you guys staying? Message me if you guys have any luck and I will do the same. I hunted Tennite last year and got a cow so hoping to get a shot at a bull this time. It is some really good eating for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck guys keep us posted

Comment

Guy just shot a small bull. Said he had to shot it 5 times. Haven’t seen it yet

Comment

Sweet! I guess that means there’s two on the ground unless it took an hour to track it and dump a few more rounds in.

Comment

Any updates from East Lake? Hope you guys saw some good movement today.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Only know of two nilgai shot so far. Small bull yesterday morning and real
                Nice one late yesterday. Rain all day yesterday didn’t help. Wind blew today so that hurt a lot.

Comment

Bumping this old thread because my son got drawn and I'm having trouble finding much info on it. TBH search actually didn't get this thread but a Google search brought it up. He's 16 so fairly capable shooter and can pack a bit. He's gonna be shooting my 300 WSM with 200gr ELD-X unless there's other recommendations. Any input highly appreciated, also if anyone knows if there's a campground nearby where I can drag an offroad popup. I've got Elk packs and a cart and I'm not afraid to put miles on the boots, kiddo probably not so hot on clearing a lot of distance but he's been a trooper in the past so we'll see. I've also got a couple portable tripods and I'm not afraid to carry one in a mile or more.

Comment

Got 2 boys for this hunt 11/27. I’m trying to learn all I can. This is an old thread but good info

Comment

Originally posted by marioq View Post
                      Got 2 boys for this hunt 11/27. I’m trying to learn all I can. This is an old thread but good info
                      Dammit, we're the weekend after you. Would have loved to meet a fellow green screener there.

Looks like we'll be staying at the Valley Gateway RV Park and trying to scout early. Probably bringing a portable tripod for the kiddo.

Comment

Good luck. I drew the exotic hunt out there earlier this year. I was unsuccessful. I saw several Nilgai during the scouting period but only a couple during the hunt. There were some idiots out there constantly roaming the property the first day and its not a big place. Most of the Nilgai moved to private property but some would cross back and forth at random times. The only Nilgai that I know of taken during my hunt was at one of the crossing areas. Its very obvious by the torn holes in the fences where they are crossing. I would recommend checking the perimeter on your scouting day and setting up a tripod on trails near brush about a hundred yards away from one of the crossings. The road on North end is like the top of a triangle. Ride a bike and find the most utilized crossing on either side of that triangle. I could have shot several Oryx but we were told they were off limits. Make sure your boys know the difference. The Nilgai go through the crossings in a hurry and don't slow down until they get back to the thicker brush so try to set up in the areas where they would slow down but you can still see the crossing.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, that's great info. Yeah definitely worrying about the wandering parties, not a big place and I've experienced the same at Amistad before, all it takes is one guy walking around and the animals go into lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by marioq View Post
                            Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Dammit, we're the weekend after you. Would have loved to meet a fellow green screener there.

Looks like we'll be staying at the Valley Gateway RV Park and trying to scout early. Probably bringing a portable tripod for the kiddo.
                            I was drawn for the hunt on Nov.13th-15th. Shotgun or Muzzleloader only

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                              I was drawn for the hunt on Nov.13th-15th. Shotgun or Muzzleloader only

So how did you do????

Comment

I’m working today and tomorrow so going to try to run up there Wednesday before I have to go to work. Scout a little and see what I see. I will take the advice and walk north to the tip of the triangle and see if we see crossings. Set up a tripod for the little ones there. Thanks for the input. I’ll let y’all know what I fond

Comment

Working...
                                X