No announcement yet.

Cattle Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is open pasture you might want to simply see if someone around would be willing/able to bale hay on it. 10 acres is not really much for cows unless you feed them well and goats are fun to have but can be a pain. Livestock is work no matter the type.....

Comment

We have the same set up and acreage. We keep one longhorn and one angus . You need to keep at least two for them to be happy. So, the longhorn is a permanent resident, and you get the "yard art" enjoyment there, and the angus (or other meat breed) is a temporary visitor. Once you slaughter and process your own, you will wonder what all the fuss is about with processors (unless you plan to sell the meat retail). With 10 acres and two cows, we supplement with one big round bale of hay per month. They still keep the grass trimmed (but not barren) - it's incredible how much they can eat. I love keeping cattle, enough that we talk about getting a lease and a little herd as a side gig, and starting with a pair on 10 acres has been a good introduction. Feel free to PM me any questions.

Sheep/Goats - you better have a barn to lock them in at night, or make a (huge) commitment on a LGD. Coyotes are ruthless, efficient killers, and will be in and out before your thermal warms up at 3 am. Biggest advantage of cattle is that they're made of beef... second biggest advantage is that coyotes don't mess with them.
      Last edited by Balcones_Walker; 04-20-2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Waygu crossed with Black Angus

Comment

Originally posted by mossman500 View Post
          Dexters
          x2 on Dexters. We got three (2 full blood 1 cross/mini jersey). So far they've done great on my place in the hill country. I went with these mainly because some friends at church raises them. As I was looking into it I found they not only eat grass but also browse too. We have 12 acres and I have the back ten fenced off for them. So far super easy to deal with and when I call them now they come running up like our dogs.

Comment

Watusi

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want a constant headache go ahead and get some goats

Biggest PIA critters I have ever owned

Parasite magnets, like said above you need a fence that will hold water, need feet trimmed if you don't have rocky soil and that is just for starters

I would go with a couple of steers and when the grass starts to fade slaughter one and sell the other

Comment

Dexter

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
                x2 on Dexters. We got three (2 full blood 1 cross/mini jersey). So far they've done great on my place in the hill country. I went with these mainly because some friends at church raises them. As I was looking into it I found they not only eat grass but also browse too. We have 12 acres and I have the back ten fenced off for them. So far super easy to deal with and when I call them now they come running up like our dogs.
                Is there special sales that sell these ? I guess what I’m asking is are they profitable? I need to do some research on them.

Comment

Buy a few 3-400# heifers around February/March. Start on preconditioning feed a couple weeks then switch to creepfeed pellets.
                  Whenever spring grass is sufficient, lay off the free groceries until the grass peters out late summer.
                  Relocation to local livestock sales and repeat next year.

Comment

Find a friend and let him put 2-3 on your place. You don't spend any money and your grass is kept low. Win Win I'm letting my cousin run his cattle on my acreage and I don't have to worry about it. He is taking care of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                      Find a friend and let him put 2-3 on your place. You don't spend any money and your grass is kept low. Win Win I'm letting my cousin run his cattle on my acreage and I don't have to worry about it. He is taking care of everything.
                      You get ag exemption that way too
                      My neighbor runs his cows in mine and we lock them in or out as necessary.

Comment

How much do these mini cows usually run

Comment

Cattle Opinions

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Duplicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

This is what I would like to do. I had someone lined up and they ended up backing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
                              How much do these mini cows usually run
                              It depends on breed, use and popularity. I've seen both registered and unregistered go from 1K to 5K per heifer/ cow. Bulls are a different story. I have a zebu bull calf that is papered and cost $500(currently trying to find him some girlfriends). I also have a dexter/mini Hereford bull that cost me very little. He is destined for the freezer or someone elses pasture. My dad is currently running dexter/mini Hereford crosses and breeding to an Aberdeen Angus bull. He's only interested in meat production. I'm going the registered route and may eventually get the kids into showing them. There are lots of mini pages on FB.

Comment

Cattle Opinions

Comment

Working...
                                X