• Show
Clear All

Nice going! Way to persevere. Sounds like a great hunt

Comment

Thats good stuff...... great job Dad & congrats to the lil huntress

Comment

Congrats! That is just plain awesome!

Comment

After yesterday morning's close call, I wasn't sure how locked in Kayden would be for the afternoon hunt. We took a midday break at the local bbq cookoff and Kayden got to run around with her cousins. I was a little nervous when it was time to go and I was expecting her to say she didn't want to go....but to my surprise, she was ready to go!

on the way to the blind, Kayden found a lady bug and made her wish but she wouldn't tell me what it was. I assumed I knew....

We were in the blind and ready by about 2:45 and it was miserable inside the popup. The new popup is a solid blind but it does not allow any breeze. I may need to make some modifications or windows or something....

Between the snacks, drinks, and coloring books, Kayden stayed preoccupied and in good spirits. I was expecting the birds to be flocked up and knew there'd be a possibility of silent birds. With that in mind, I kept the side windows cracked just enough so I could keep an eye in several directions.

At about 4:15, I saw a red head walking through the brush about 75 yards to the east (right). His head was lit up but he was just walking parallel to our setup. At this point, I wasn't sure if he saw our decoys or heard any of our calling yet. By the time I was able to grab my call, he was dang near behind us. I hit a soft yelp and his attitude changed immediately. He went into half strut and started looking around. I gave him another yelp and he started heading our way

Now I knew he hadn't seen our decoys, yet. As he got to about 50 yards out, he puffed to 3/4 strut and started the trot to the Jake decoy. Now that I knew he was committed, I switched my attention to Kayden.

Pink ear muffs...check
          Kayden calmed down and ready....check
          Gun pointing at Jake decoy....check

Our decoys were set at 15 yards. a feeder to the left, 3/4 Jake and breeder hen dead center, and another feeder to the right. As the gobbler approached the spread, he stopped at the feeder to the right. Kayden said "I'm ready" and I switched the gun to fire. I thought she was going to shoot but then the gobbler made his way to the Jake decoy. I've told Kayden over and over to only take the shot when she is 100% sure and I'm surprised at how well she's taken that message. She didn't pull the trigger until the gobbler was dead still looking over the back of the Jake decoy.

15 yards, full strut, looking right at us...the pattern out of the 20ga & 7 1/2 shot is about the size of a basketball. When she shot, feathers went everywhere. Lets just say this bird isn't a candidate for a full body mount

after the shot, I threw her through the front window and we ran to grab her turkey. We facetimed with Chelska for a few minutes then started the pictures. Heck of a day and having PoPo there made it that much better!

I asked Kayden again about her ladybug wish and if it came true...she looked at me a little confused and said she wished for a unicorn

Comment

That is awesome. Especially the last sentence [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
              That is awesome. Especially the last sentence [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I can't imagine what goes through their little minds

One minute you're coloring in a princess book and the next you're shooting a turkey. We celebrated for a few minutes then I turned around to her picking flowers

It all adds to the awesome experience!

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                Crazy windy after the hunt...poor Kayden couldn’t hold the fan open for the standard LDP

Utilized the old deer blind instead and I think they turned out pretty well

Good job dad 👏
                I can't get my 7 year old daughter to hunt with me, she loves fishing but not hunting.

Comment

That’s awesome! Great write up too! One of my all time favorite hunts was my daughter’s first turkey hunt. After several unsuccessful sits we worked that bird in for what felt like an hour and she nailed him. She was so excited there were some tears shed. Great moments for sure.

Comment

Hahahahaha that little girl is a mess! Great write up and LMAO at that last sentence. Congrats again to all yall! Pink Crocs for the win!

Comment

Awesome work Clay!

Comment

Great story to a great hunt. Congrats Clay.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                          Good job dad [emoji122]
                          I can't get my 7 year old daughter to hunt with me, she loves fishing but not hunting.

Our first hunts were in the dove field...plenty of stuff to keep her busy. I think that was a perfect way to introduce her to hunting.

I’m not sure if its as much as the act of hunting as it is just the experience for her. She lives to be outside and doing new things. She would have had just as fun a time in the popup blind with PoPo and I. Like I said earlier, missed opportunity in the morning had zero effect on her.

She’s fine with being out there, picking a few flowers and finding a few ladybugs

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Hahahahaha that little girl is a mess! Great write up and LMAO at that last sentence. Congrats again to all yall! Pink Crocs for the win!
                            With the matching ear protection

Comment

Might have recruited a youth for this afternoon.

Maybe.....

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                                Might have recruited a youth for this afternoon.

Maybe.....

PoPo will never pass for a youth even with hair dye and a Justin Bieber shirt. Especially with a Keystone in his hand in the blind. [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X