Drawn for Aransas NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by isaiahcruz16 View Post
    Hoppers landing is the place. They have hook ups for rvs and campers, places to pitch tents by the water, the bar may or may not be open, and they have cabin you can also rent but they to may or may not be in use.
    Yep, that's the name of the place. We rode out a hurricane in a tent there one night. Was pretty crazy deal, all we could do was laugh, once we realized what we got ourselves into.

We liked the place, I would go back and camp there, hang out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
      My avatar pic is from the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. You can see all of the caliche dust on our vehicle. When I was a kid I hunted with my Dad out there.....ages 10-18. I can tell you this......I can still hear the humming noise of the mosquitoes from that place. I have seen guys running down senderos trying to get back to their vehicles because of the mosquitoes. They just were not aware of the situation. It’s like nothing you will ever hunt I can promise you that. I would go back but the mosquitoes keep me away from that place. Did I mention mosquitoes?!?!?!? Like others mentioned.....mosquito netting....lots of mosquito spray. Bring several cans. If you do not put spray on your eyelids they will bite you there. I am not kidding. Enjoy the hunt.
      You have been there. Can't understand what that place is like, till you have spent about three or four days there. I started hunting that place back in 1986, hunted it almost every year, till sometime in the mid to late 90s. It's tough, will really test your ability to deal with biting bugs. It was always a fun adventure.

Comment

Hey, if anyone that is down there right now, wants some info on actual spot to hunt, with high likely hood you will find something, send me a PM. You might have to walk around a gator or two, but I have never been to that spot, without seeing a nice buck or a pig. You will need a tripod to hunt the area, that or just walk it and be fast on the draw, we did that a few times. There may be a oak tree or two you might be able to climb up in, that you could hunt out of. You should look the place over in the day. Then get up and on your way out there by 5:00 am at the latest, it's a long drive down there.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          Hey, if anyone that is down there right now, wants some info on actual spot to hunt, with high likely hood you will find something, send me a PM. You might have to walk around a gator or two, but I have never been to that spot, without seeing a nice buck or a pig. You will need a tripod to hunt the area, that or just walk it and be fast on the draw, we did that a few times. There may be a oak tree or two you might be able to climb up in, that you could hunt out of. You should look the place over in the day. Then get up and on your way out there by 5:00 am at the latest, it's a long drive down there.

Sounds like point pasture road area .

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeliner1 View Post
            I doubt you’ll get any shots close to 800yds,they purposely keep the gun hunts in the thick part of the refuge so people don’t shoot each other.The open parts of the refuge around the coastal area are also where the Whooping Cranes are for the winter so they keep people away from there.
            No, the deal is and has been forever. For the rifle hunts, they close down any area that is close to the intercoastal side, south shore line. I think even the west shore line. It's because the whooping cranes are in those areas, starting in November, they don't want you anywhere near the whooping cranes. You want to hunt the place in October. All of our good spots are closed off, during November and December.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              Sounds like point pasture road area .
              I forgot, you are from Victoria area, you have probably been there a few times.

Comment

Dern, full draw this morning on a nice 8 at 10 yards but he was coming at me. Saw me and bolted. I’m gonna kill one tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
                  Dern, full draw this morning on a nice 8 at 10 yards but he was coming at me. Saw me and bolted. I’m gonna kill one tonight.
                  Ugh, that sucks. Good luck, kill a big one!

Comment

I was going to say, all you can hear on this post is the crickets, but I am guessing that sound is mosquitos, I hear. Sounds like the mosquitos won again.

Comment

I forgot, you are from Victoria area, you have probably been there a few times.

I hunted it for about 7 or 8 years with Thumper .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                        I hunted it for about 7 or 8 years with Thumper .
                        If you hunted it that many years, you know what walks out there.

I was just thinking about that the other day, guys that post up there are no deer in this place or that place. Or they claim the locals have poached all of the deer, so there are none left. My thoughts are, so why do the locals keep going back to that place, if the deer have all been killed off? I think it's a case of the locals have figured the place out and the out of towners have not.

Basically, we kept going back to the Mosquito refuge for a long, time, it was not because we liked feeding the mosquitos.

Comment

If you hunted it that many years, you know what walks out there.

I was just thinking about that the other day, guys that post up there are no deer in this place or that place. Or they claim the locals have poached all of the deer, so there are none left. My thoughts are, so why do the locals keep going back to that place, if the deer have all been killed off? I think it's a case of the locals have figured the place out and the out of towners have not.

Basically, we kept going back to the Mosquito refuge for a long, time, it was not because we liked feeding the mosquitos.

Yup . People really don’t know the potential of the place .

Comment

I’m headed down for the December hunt. I’d love any spots, tips or advice you have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado87 View Post
                              I’m headed down for the December hunt. I’d love any spots, tips or advice you have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I wrote a book, I sent to some guy, a couple days ago. I get his name, see if he can send you the book I wrote. Once I got started, I kept thinking of things, it turned into something like 8 messages.

Comment

If it can get passed around, I’ll be down there in November.

Comment

Working...
                                X