No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasnt able to make the scouting trip today got in super late from Houston last night and with the rain I was just super tired, looking into backpacks where I’ll able to store my equipment picked up a bike already and the Sherman cart is on the way, found a portable 4’ tripod chair that weights about 15lbs thinking I can carry it with me

Comment

Drew the 11/13 hunt, went last year, going again, will go every year I'm drawn and healthy. The place is amazing. Yes to snakes, wear snake gaiters. Do the Permethrin soak of all your clothes, not joking. And last year I missed by 10 yards getting caught in a moving Africanized Honey Bee swarm, scared the living SH%T out of me. AMAZING birdwatching if you're into it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
        X2

I say it every year on the Laguna threads, but I’ve hunted Laguna multiple years and hunted south Texas all my life and I do not wear snake boots. I bought a pair of them last year and wore them one time and more than likely won’t wear them again. I just wear merrel hiking shoes and watch where I walk.
        Maybe, but I walked through thick stuff that there is ZERO chance I would have seen a snake in, especially in the dark early and late. Good snake gaiters are no problem and cheap insurance, IMHO. Like a parachute, you may never need one but the one time you do, you'll be unhappy if you don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
          If you consider going too far in just keep in mind that if you kill something it will be difficult to take out considering your by yourself.

Other than that its a good idea- good luck.
          For nilgai it makes no difference if you get to your spot under cover of darkness or later because they are night-sleepers and move all day, unlike deer. For deer, if you want to hunt the sunrise period, you either need a bike or a spot not too far from wherever you park the vehicle. There was NO CHANCE I could get to my spot last year under cover of darkness -- far in, and the gate was opened too late for the long in-refuge drive and the longer walk from the truck.

Comment

The refuge drive sucks. 25mph and the 15mph. I am too inpatient to do that drive. Made a u-turn and headed back out to main road.

Jumped a cow Nilgai at 30 yards from some brush. Scared the ****ake out of us. Found some big pigs and great trails with lots of fresh tracks and dung piles. Rubber boots were a must this weekend due to all the rain. We put in 7 miles this AM and 6 miles this PM.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              The refuge drive sucks. 25mph and the 15mph. I am too inpatient to do that drive. Made a u-turn and headed back out to main road.

Jumped a cow Nilgai at 30 yards from some brush. Scared the ****ake out of us. Found some big pigs and great trails with lots of fresh tracks and dung piles. Rubber boots were a must this weekend due to all the rain. We put in 7 miles this AM and 6 miles this PM.
              Think I saw the pigs and the turtle, got pics.

Comment

Originally posted by DHOutdoorsman View Post
                My advice is get there 1 hr before orientation, its a first in-first out once the meeting is over and you'll have 200 other hunters racing to get to there spots to claim the area.
                So after orientation we'll be able to get out to a spot and put a stand or blind up or do they have to come out everyday?

Comment

New here as well. Cant message or email over this forum yet... only reply. Just got in from LA scouting a few hours ago. Definitely pumped! I'd be interested in picking someone else's brain. Never been on a nilgai hunt.

Steve in Bandera County

Comment

"200 other hunters racing to" claim the area"?

OK, maybe some spots are more productive than others, but its 200 people hunting 45,000 acres. Last year in four days of hunting I saw a large cow and giant bull nilgai within 150 yards but not in arrow range, and I passed on two deer because that's not why I was there. And once at my spot I never saw a single other human being in four days. The place is gigantic; I wouldn't worry too much about it getting "crowded."

Comment

Gotta up my posts. Made it out to scout but cant share any pics yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SMS View Post
                        Evening All. First time poster here.

Got drawn for the first archery hunt 11/6-11/10. Can’t wait. First time to the LA. Trying to scout and plan this thing out on short notice. Thinking I’m going to approach it like a hunt out west, backpacking in and hunting on the ground. Headed to CO in ‘21 so will use this as a flat land training run.

Reading back thru the old threads to learn as much as possible. Will be flying solo. If anyone is up for talking about scouting plans, lodging, celebratory beers, etc. I’m in. Happy to help out any of you good fellas if I’m able. Hope to meet some of y’all there.

Steve in Dripping Springs.
                        trying to message you, can't share email

Comment

Originally posted by BanderaBowhunts View Post
                          So after orientation we'll be able to get out to a spot and put a stand or blind up or do they have to come out everyday?
                          I’d like to know that also. I’ll be there for the November hunt! I bought a game cart Tripod stand combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Keaton Wright View Post
                            I’d like to know that also. I’ll be there for the November hunt! I bought a game cart Tripod stand combo.
                            Game cart tripod stand combo? Sounds cool

Comment

May be other manufacturers, but I know Hawk makes one. Never hunted out of one though, so I can’t comment on functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya check it out on amazon. Looked pretty decent. I’ve read where some hunters are against the tripod down there because of how short the tree lines are. But I think it’ll be beneficial since it’s only 9’ tall. My lazy *** is getting an ebike too. So many hunters recommending it because you can cover so much ground in a short time.

Here’s a question I’ve been wanting to pose. Haven’t found a response. But I wonder if you can bring a companion with you? Maybe like a spotter and someone to help pack out any animals (ie 600lb Nilgai)

Comment

Working...
                                X