No announcement yet.

New place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is awesome man, congrats on this place. You got an awesome set up!

Comment

I don't know much about bass varieties... will you be able to easily tell those Lonestar Legacy bass from the other bass in there when they get bigger?

Comment

I want to go in about 5 years and catch a 10-pounder. This place is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Woah...that's awesome Brandon!
          Fish was spawned Out!!! Would love to had caught it back in Feb

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
            I don't know much about bass varieties... will you be able to easily tell those Lonestar Legacy bass from the other bass in there when they get bigger?
            Probably no way to 100% know the difference. Overton says some of their LL Bass have a golden hue to them but I have no idea idea if that's visible or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm also trying to make the duck hunting great....so this weekend I "planted" a bunch of sago pond weed tubers to try and get them established.

Put sand in a paper bag, put a couple tubers in, put more sand on top, staple bag and throw in a foot of water. Easy-peasy.

Comment

Put sand in a paper bag, put a couple tubers in, put more sand on top, staple bag and throw in a foot of water. Easy-peasy.
                thats a really neat and cool idea, I may try that on my project place....can these water plants spread and become a problem? My newly dug pond could use some plant diversity and if I can kill a few ducks that would be awesome.

Comment

Probably no way to 100% know the difference. Overton says some of their LL Bass have a golden hue to them but I have no idea idea if that's visible or not.

You can tell the difference on probably 75-80%. They do have a golden hue.

Comment

I picked up some Lonestar Legacy bass (Pure Florida strain from the Camelot Bell line) from Overtons today. I put 100 in the brood pond that has tens of thousands of golden shiner fry. They should get fat in a hurry.

I dumped the other 300 in the big lake in 3 different spots with some laydown willow trees for protection.

So i guess logistically you're going to have to quit culling bass for a year or two to let the LL bass grow?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      You can tell the difference on probably 75-80%. They do have a golden hue.
                      Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                        So i guess logistically you're going to have to quit culling bass for a year or two to let the LL bass grow?
                        Yes exactly. Probably will cull some larger fish within a certain length this year as I know they are all northern strain. I will try to give the LL two spawning cycles before culling any UNDERS.

We took out 700 bass (all by rod and reel) the last two years so we've got the population as low as it has been in a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                          thats a really neat and cool idea, I may try that on my project place....can these water plants spread and become a problem? My newly dug pond could use some plant diversity and if I can kill a few ducks that would be awesome.
                          The sago will spread but not like wildfire... and they only grow in shallow water. Each plant is different though.

Comment

Yes exactly. Probably will cull some larger fish within a certain length this year as I know they are all northern strain. I will try to give the LL two spawning cycles before culling any UNDERS.

We took out 700 bass (all by rod and reel) the last two years so we've got the population as low as it has been in a long while.
                            Steve I would cull like hell this year. My goal would be 800-1000

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              Steve I would cull like hell this year. My goal would be 800-1000
                              Are you talking about the bigger fish?

The other thing is we have a flock of Cormorants that do a hell of a job culling the bass. There are still 6-8 birds that I scare off every time I'm here. In the winter it can be over a hundred birds.

Comment

Are you talking about the bigger fish?

The other thing is we have a flock of Cormorants that do a hell of a job culling the bass. There are still 6-8 birds that I scare off every time I'm here. In the winter it can be over a hundred birds.
                                Yes sir. With Cormorants I would but that number in half. We so far haven’t had a big issue with them. Have you looked at those timed automatic bang cannons?

Comment

Working...
                                X