Camp rattlesnakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp rattlesnakes question

Guys just checking to see if I am the one out to lunch on this. We have a deer lease between Eldorado and Mertzon. We have seen quite a few rattlesnakes on this ranch. Seems as though some of our lease members going up during hunting season and the offseason and see rattlesnakes in and around our camp area where our travel trailers and barn area are located. These lease members do NOT kill these rattlesnakes. As a matter of fact this past weekend two lease members caught a rattlesnake at the camp area that had busted all its rattles off. They took the snake a little ways from camp and turned it loose ALIVE.
    My thoughts are if a rattlesnake is in or around the camp area, they are killed immediately. This also goes for the area around my stand and feeders. Away from the camp area its up to the hunter if they want to kill them or let them go and do their thing. We have guys that bring their kids and grandkids to the lease and many of these kids are under 6 years old Most of these kids are city kids and not wise to the dangers of being out in the country. My concern is that a lease member or one of the young uns end up getting bit around the camp area because these lease members are not killing these camp rattlesnakes. I have been bit twice by poisonous snakes so I am more sensitive to this issue than others may be. I just wanted to ask you all am I out to lunch or do y'all eliminate camp rattlesnakes?

Yes, they die

Comment

Prob better of eliminating their food source around camp. In other words, get rid of the mice and rats and you want have snakes around. But killing them doesn’t offend me either.

Comment

I don't kill any snakes, regardless of where they are.
        Killing snakes to protect someone is kinda like wearing a mask to prevent covid .
        But, it's a free country, you do you .
        If it's not going to create turmoil or get you kicked off the lease, and it's what you want to do, go for it.
        You're paying money like everyone else.

Comment

They die !

Comment

Do they kill scorpions or wasps around camp? Rattlesnakes at camp are in the same category. They die.

Comment

I never give a pass to a venomous snake. No matter where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                I don't kill any snakes, regardless of where they are.
                Killing snakes to protect someone is kinda like wearing a mask to prevent covid .
                But, it's a free country, you do you .
                If it's not going to create turmoil or get you kicked off the lease, and it's what you want to do, go for it.
                You're paying money like everyone else.
                Can you elaborate on this? Not saying you are wrong just legitimately curious.

Comment

We have a ranch near Fort McKavett. I have 4 sons ranging from 8yrs-5 months. You bet your *** I'm killing every rattler that feels comfortable enough to show up near our camp house! Especially rattlers with no rattles! I'll trade a snakes life for my kids life any day of the week that ends in Y....

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    Can you elaborate on this? Not saying you are wrong just legitimately curious.
                    Elaborate on what?

Comment

Had a lease from Mertz the Oglesby off of 190 between Eldorado a and Mertzon. Saw several around camp and one bit my dog in the face at camp. I’m not a fan I see I kill at camp!

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        Elaborate on what?
                        How not killing them in camp wouldnt decrease the risk of someone getting bitten around camp. Like i said before, I am not saying you are not correct.

Comment

Like said above, it's a near impossible task but first need to eliminate all vermin around camp. One of the worst things we do around camp is leaving any food or corn around. Again, a near impossible task.

Second kill all snakes around camp.

Third, repeat steps one and two.

Comment

Thwack all snakes [emoji216]and any source of food.....but that's me!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. We do make every effort to eliminate food sources that would keep rattlesnake food sources hanging around the camp area. We keep the camp area mowed and clean as possible. Just prior to us getting on this lease the guy we lease from did a bunch of work around the camp area to clear brush and trash. During this process they encountered a lot of rattlesnakes in the area. As many rattlesnakes as we have encountered in the camp area in three years on this ranch, it is just a matter of time before someone has a bad encounter. We have already had several close calls.

Comment

Working...
                              X