New place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New place

I'm bored as heck with this Covid "quarantine" so I thought I would do another follow along thread with my new place.

The new place is near Waco and it's all about the water. 60 acres total....with an old gravel pit that has ~15 acres of water. Since it has about 20 different canals it's got 3 miles of shoreline to fish.

I've always wanted my own bass lake and this one has great potential for what we want to do. It's fairly deep... 18 feet in a couple places....but it also has shallow areas for spawning. The water is extremely clear with 8-10 feet visibility with lots of gravel and small rocks on the bottom. It has at least 25 different humps and points with the way they dug out the pit and willow trees in between the canals. It's got some big open water areas as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This is me, drooling...congrats on the new place!!

Comment

It has a nice gravel boat ramp and I can launch my bass boat with no issues.

It had a severe over population of bass when we bought it but we have been on a culling mission to take out as many as we can. Since last April we have taken out 560 bass. Biggest is 5 pounds or so with most 1-2 pounds. We have had several 100 fish days as they were very poor and would eat anything you threw at them.

Comment

Winter time pic of the canals and my little beaver friend's work. I'm ok with the beaver doing his thing as he has built some amazing fish habitat.

Comment

It had quite a few ducks in the winter....mostly all ringnecks....but I wasn't that mad at them this year and didn't hunt them. Several times we would flush off 200 ringnecks on our way in the gate to fish.

I did install 2 wood duck boxes hoping to get them established around there.

Comment

Wood duck boxes

Comment

Fabulous place Steve!! Especially with ducks!! Thanks for the thread. I was thinking of you the other day when I came through Waco. Getting ready to put our place up for sale. gonna see what else we can find. LOL!

Comment

Stocking - after taking out all those bass we put in 25K golden shiners. It has a great crawfish population...almost every bass we catch has crawfish antennas sticking out of their throat.

It has bluegill and but the bass took a heavy toll on them last year. We plan on adding threadfin shad this spring and get them firmly established.

Comment

Had a new road put in and enlarged the boat ramp a bit. Electric gate is being installed as I type.

Now the barndo construction has started with dirt work underway.

It will be a weekend place for us and possibly a VRBO rental... 2 bed - 2 bath with a 30' x 25' shop. Already regretting not making the shop bigger but that is what's in our budget.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    Fabulous place Steve!! Especially with ducks!! Thanks for the thread. I was thinking of you the other day when I came through Waco. Getting ready to put our place up for sale. gonna see what else we can find. LOL!
                    Thanks David. PM sent.

Comment

Your place looks fantastic. How exciting!!! And very good to have you posting cool stuff again.

Comment

I forgot to mention that my buddy Chance Love help me get this place and did a great job with negotiations and contract process.

I miss you Chance.

Comment

Wow. Heaven on earth right there. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            Your place looks fantastic. How exciting!!! And very good to have you posting cool stuff again.
                            Thanks Rusty...appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              I forgot to mention that my buddy Chance Love help me get this place and did a great job with negotiations and contract process.

I miss you Chance.
                              LOL! I'm getting ready to put Chance to work. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X