Ezekiel Elliott blasts NFL after fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
    My thought exactly. Have a friend that played for the Cowboys during the ice bowl time period. He can barley walk and made little to nothing. His son has fought the NFL for years and they are finally helping the older guys.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I don't have a problem with the fine money going to the NFL pensions but those guys made more money than what some think, I believe I read the low end of the roster made about 5-6 times more than an average salaried man made. And the NFL is so stupid on what they allow and disallow as far as celebrations go.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      Probably close to 500k
      Average NFL Salary in 1970 was less than $30k
      In 1980 it was less than $80k
      In 1990 it was about $400k
      In 2000 it was about $1.1MM
      Today it's about $2MM

The NFL Pension is based on years in the league. The average annual pension payment this year was about $43,000

League minimum is $550k this year
      Last edited by curtintex; 12-07-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Any first year marketing student could see this as an opportunity for some positive press and a way to raise money for a charity organization. The NFL sees something to punish and give even more people a reason to get upset. Sometimes I think a pet monkey is making their decisions.
        Last edited by CEO; 12-07-2018, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Average NFL Salary in 1970 was less than $30k
          In 1980 it was less than $80k
          In 1990 it was about $400k
          In 2000 it was about $1.1MM
          Today it's about $2MM

The NFL Pension is based on years in the league. The average annual pension payment this year was about $43,000
          Ok, the average income in America in 1970 was 9800.00
          No matter what year it is the average NFL player makes much more than the average American.
          The NFL base salary is just under 500k today.......edit that was actually last year

Comment

Rules are rules. Let it go and focus on your craft.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              Probably close to 500k

That is what it is now...Like $400-600K depending on experience for rookies through 3 years...up to $1 mil for 10 year vets.

Back in the day of Landry's Cowboys the average salary was $23K in the early 70s. Bob Lily used to talk about having to have a second job in the offseason to make ends meet. I am pretty sure Staubach sold real estate which launched his lucrative real estate company.. I think the mid 80s is where stuff started to take off for them and TV money
              Last edited by Smart; 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Dan Reeves used to work for Gifford Hill in the off season. I remember Don Meredith saying he made around $100K his best season. And those guys were the stars. Rank and file players made squat.

Comment

****.... Curt covered it. I had zero replies after flywise comment I quoted even after hitting refresh. Would have saved me some typing.

Comment

I remember Terry Bradshaw telling Chuck Noll he wanted $100,000 a year after winning his 4th Super Bowl. Noll told Bradshaw there wasn't anybody worth $100,000 a year.

Comment

It is all relevant, they made good money for 12 or 14 games, they had several months to work other jobs because they did not have all the mini camps, ota's etc, I read 25K was the average pay in 69, that is a couple grand a game, they were living the high life back then. Some of them capitalized on it and some did not, same as today, how the hell does a player make several Million before the age of 30 and be broke by the age of 40 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                        I remember Terry Bradshaw telling Chuck Noll he wanted $100,000 a year after winning his 4th Super Bowl. Noll told Bradshaw there wasn't anybody worth $100,000 a year.
                        Well, that's a great story, but not true. Steelers won their fourth SB in 1980....Bradshaw made $471,000 in 1981. Franco Harris made $350k and Lynn Swann made $340k. Jack Ham made $300k, Joe Greene made $230k and Jack Lambert made $200k. Even back in 1977, after only 2 Superbowls, they all made more than $100k

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                          It is all relevant, they made good money for 12 or 14 games, they had several months to work other jobs because they did not have all the mini camps, ota's etc, I read 25K was the average pay in 69, that is a couple grand a game, they were living the high life back then. Some of them capitalized on it and some did not, same as today, how the hell does a player make several Million before the age of 30 and be broke by the age of 40 ?
                          Pet Tigers
                          Homeboys
                          Baby Mamas

Comment

Well, that's a great story, but not true. Steelers won their fourth SB in 1980....Bradshaw made $471,000 in 1981. Franco Harris made $350k and Lynn Swann made $340k. Jack Ham made $300k, Joe Greene made $230k and Jack Lambert made $200k. Even back in 1977, after only 2 Superbowls, they all made more than $100k

I think that's a little high....sure the big names made some money (just like now) but the lower end guys are part of the same programs and funding.

"An annual survey conducted by the National Football League shows that the average salary of an N.F.L. player last season(1982) was $90,102, with quarterbacks averaging the highest, $160,037. In 1980, the average player's salary was $78,657, 14.5 percent under the 1981 figure.Jan 29, 1982"

Salaries gotta be on the low end for some to bring those high superstar salaries you quoted down to ~80-85K average. Lotta folks in the 60s and early 70s still alive that made much less. Still its good money for back then ... but after taxes you better have invested wisely for a a few years in the league to make that work.
                            Last edited by Smart; 12-07-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              I think that's a little high....sure the big names made some money (just like now) but the lower end guys are part of the same programs and funding.
                              I'm sorry. To clarify, by "all", I meant all of the guys I'd mentioned in my post. Not all the Steelers.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                                Adding to the ridiculous aspect of the episode is the fact that the NFL apparently allowed the presence of the Salvation Army kettle on the field -- therefore showing an endorsement of the organization -- yet draws this ludicrous line over Zeke showing his support of that endorsement. Truly -- and sadly -- ironic.
                                This^^^^

They should remove kettle.....you know, to stop the temptation!

Comment

Working...
                                X