No announcement yet.

Bah humbug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy gifts for your wife and kids. If someone complains, tough.

Comment

When we all get together we draw names for all Nieces and nephews so I had 3 kids so I drew 3 names and so on and that’s the gifts we bought it always works good that way and if you drew your own kids name you would put it back and draw again

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
        What do you consider good gifts for white elephant? I’m assuming different than what you buy a spouse or your own children.
        So, my wife and I generally bring something we would like to have ourselves as opposed to my cousin who brought a can of possum and a talking toilet paper holder last year (this is an honest to God fact of what he brought). Granted it was his first year and he thought it was gag gifts. Our thought process is if it’s something we would like to have then it’s a good gift. Maybe not something everyone wants but at least something that some people would want.

Comment

Kids only

Comment

We draw names at Thanksgiving and then do our gift exchange at Christmas. We have a $40 limit and most people stick to that. Everybody buys for the kiddos. Our deal is centered around eating and visiting. We're all overweight, but nobody goes home broke or hungry! LOL

Comment

My wife makes family calendars every year (online Shutterfly) with pictures from the preceding year. Great gift, everyone uses them. Not super cheap, but a good deal.

Played seran wrap ball game at a x-mas party, lots of fun. Load it up with gift cards or money and let it rip. Look it up on the google. Some friends said they use it as a family gift instead of getting everyone a separate present.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaverrite View Post
                My wife makes family calendars every year (online Shutterfly) with pictures from the preceding year. Great gift, everyone uses them. Not super cheap, but a good deal.

Played seran wrap ball game at a x-mas party, lots of fun. Load it up with gift cards or money and let it rip. Look it up on the google. Some friends said they use it as a family gift instead of getting everyone a separate present.
                Looks like fun

Comment

It took some years but I figured out how to get around Christmas gifts, I started making it a point to start a spirited political argument at Thanksgiving- no Christmas - problem solved! Everyone makes just about time for July 4th BBQ'.

Comment

have a get together and have everyone bring something to eat. Presents amongst adults is unnecessary. get all the kids something and enjoy each others company.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                      It took some years but I figured out how to get around Christmas gifts, I started making it a point to start a spirited political argument at Thanksgiving- no Christmas - problem solved! Everyone makes just about time for July 4th BBQ'.
                      Genius lol

Comment

We just get presents for our parents and that is it. When the brothers, sisters spit out 3 kids each and their kids spit out 3 kids each, no way I am buying for all them. We see the nieces and nephews once a year maybe twice and I do not know half their names so it is parents mine and my wife's parents only that get gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                          We have a big family so we make jars of salsa, or cookies, or popcorn bags, etc.

You don’t have to spend a bunch of money to give people something from the heart.
                          Having same problem as op. Great idea, plus gives the fiancé something to do while I go hunting lol

Comment

Enjoy it as long as you can. We went from 25 folks to 12 in about 3 years. Getting old blows.........

Comment

We do a gift exchange for the adults and its a blast. Each gift can be stole, but only twice. So it makes it interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                                We’re at the point in life where we have to many people to buy for at Christmas. I’ve always bought nice gifts for Christmas but now I’m married with 2 kids and it’s just too much. I’m torn. I hate buying people crap they’ll never use and refuse to spend the money to get everyone something good. Gonna have to get creative this year. I think next year I’m gonna push for a secret Santa where we draw names or something. Maybe even a Chinese Christmas or something. Rant over. Merry Christmas everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I am sure others have said, but we still buy toys (Sub $25) for nieces and nephews (We have 6 currently), and pick a name out of a hat to buy one nice gift for one other adult. This was after 5 years of me asking to do it this way. Now, everyone gets one really nice gift, and the kids are happy. Still expensive, but sub $300, and knowing all the gifts are good ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X