No announcement yet.

Spring Bear Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you hunt over a feeder in TX? Not much difference really. I am not criticizing you. Alaska on a coastal spot and stalk bear hunt is a dream I am not sure I will ever get to fulfill with my current health situation. It just seems to me there isn't much difference.

I hope this link doesn't break any rules. But it has some good info.

Muley Freak is a DIY western hunting group that lives for bow hunting and long-range rifle hunting. Follow along on our adventures and learn more about hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
      Do you hunt over a feeder in TX? Not much difference really. I am not criticizing you. Alaska on a coastal spot and stalk bear hunt is a dream I am not sure I will ever get to fulfill with my current health situation. It just seems to me there isn't much difference.

https://muleyfreak.com/2018/05/02/5-...ear-hunts-otc/
      Generally no. I spot and stalk elk hunt in Colorado and spot and stalk pigs here. I'm not a big whitetail deer hunter by any means. I used to be and was fortunate enough to kill some good ones, now I don't have that desire anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Bump. I'd like to do this hunt too I think. If I hunted over a dozen donuts there would probably only be 6 or 7 left after my hunt. Just sayin.
        I'm an LEO so you know there wouldn't be any left

Comment

Couldn’t you just buy a bear tag OTC? And avoid the “guided” hunt mark up?

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post
            I'm an LEO so you know there wouldn't be any left

Comment

I have hunted Saskatchewan several times in the spring. I love it up there. There are so many bears it shouldn’t be too hard to stick a donut in your pocket and walk around. The bears will find you. Our hunts were in the 3k range plus airfare. Most of the outfitters have huge amounts of land to hunt. You just need to ask them about stalk hunting. Normally they just drop off and come back to pick you up. You would have to find one to stalk with you or you would get lost in a hurry. Don’t want to end up as wolf bait.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post

https://muleyfreak.com/2018/05/02/5-...ear-hunts-otc/
                Uh, that's where you're wrong, sir!

On a bear hunt, you can get drunk (if that's your thing), sleep late, have a late breakfast, go fishing, eat a late lunch, take a nap, and still not miss any hunting!

Comment

Generally no. I spot and stalk elk hunt in Colorado and spot and stalk pigs here. I'm not a big whitetail deer hunter by any means. I used to be and was fortunate enough to kill some good ones, now I don't have that desire anymore.
                  Yeah I knew as soon as I posted that I shouldn't have. I have hunted bears in PA but never over bait, so I really should have kept my opinion to myself. I do want to spot and stalk with my bow, just probably not AK. Good luck in your search! Keep us posted.

Comment

Spring Bear Hunts

Who has gone or typically goes on a spring bear hunt?

I am looking for an “affordable” spring black bear hunt.

My one prerequisite is that I don’t want to hunt over bait, I will only hunt spot and stalk and prefer archery.

Let’s hear your experiences and recommendations.

Price will depend on area. Alaska and BC will be high but the bears are typically trophy size. You can find cheaper hunts for smaller bears

I would suggest you contact Bow hunting safari consultants or Bow and Arrow Adventures. They are both legit booking agents, have actually hunted with the folks they recommend, and it’s free for you. They’ll point you in the right direction. Just my .02
                    My spot and stalk Alaska boat hunt:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Rcole1310; 12-06-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Apparently spring berry bear meat is delicious and fall fishy bear meat sucks. Im interested too. Good luck CBROWN.
                      It depends really, on where you hunt. Coastal bears that eat a lot of fish are said to be not so good. However, having harvested bears from the bush in both spring and fall, I can tell you that the meat is awesome in both. Just leaner in the spring. Saskatchewan bears, by the way.

Comment

When I go hunt somewhere outside of Texas, the adventure is more important than the kill. If you feel that way too... try this. It’s doable with a bow and it’s one of my most enjoyable hunts.

We ate our bears and shipped back lbs and lbs of halibut and rock fish.
                        Last edited by Kevin; 12-06-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                          When I go hunt somewhere outside of Texas, the adventure is more important than the kill. If you feel that way too... try this. It’s doable with a bow and it’s one of my most enjoyable hunts.

We ate our bears and shipped back lbs and lbs of halibut and rock fish.
                          I agree 100% and that’s exactly why I won’t sit over bait. The hunt is more important to me than the kill. To kill is a bonus but also signifies the end of the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                            Apparently spring berry bear meat is delicious and fall fishy bear meat sucks. Im interested too. Good luck CBROWN.
                            I have found it to be the opposite. Fat fall bear is really good skinny spring bears not usually as good.

Comment

I went to Canada a few months ago and killed a bear with my bow for $1300. He was eating donuts though. Sorry.

Comment

Apply for one of the Navajo Nation permits. $1,000 for the permit if you are drawn and then let me know. I can hook you up with a friend of mine that has dogs. Great hunt and bears usually have good hair coats.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X