Gun cleaning gear help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun cleaning gear help

I read a post on here recently saying it makes no sense to have a high end rifle and run a crappy three piece rod down it. I had never given that any thought but it made sense I guess (or maybe I just like spending money) and I bought a nice one piece carbon fiber rod.

Here’s the question: what do you guys use from there? What attachments, what swabs, what oil and solvent?

I use a bore snake on all my guns with hopes solvent and wipe down the guns with rusteprufe.

Comment

I have a Dewey rod.
      Actually have 2. Ones too short

Comment

You will need a good bore guide, jags, brushes, patches (or I like the cleaning pellets), solvent, and a good oil.

Comment

Yall clean guns??

Most rifles wont need cleaning enough for any of it to matter. Even if they do, do you REALLY think an aluminum rod that's going 2FPS is going to be detrimental to the barrel that is designed to handle bullets flying 3000FPS?

To answer the OP: I use some sweets 7.62, hoppes bore cleaner, brake cleaner, and whatever light oil I have handy.
          Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 03-02-2021, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Hit the barrel with a Rod/Jag hoppe's #9. then BoreSnake.

Comment

Hoppes, boresnakes for the right caliber, patches with hoppes, and a light coat of oil.

Comment

aluminum rod and you're not going to hurt anything.

Hoppe's solvent first in barrel, then new dry swabs until clean, then one swab with oil, then one dry swab.
                Outside, wipe down with RemOil or silicone cloth.

Comment

This is what I've been using to wipe down for over 30 years. Convenient and it works
                  Attached Files

Comment

I
                    1. Run a soaking wet with solvent with caliber size end piece
                    2 wet bore brush
                    3 wet patch’s till they start cleaning up / not green
                    4 dry patch then light oil
                    Uncle and I do this every 20 rounds
                    Or every 10 for the 1st 100 rounds on a new gun or barrel

Comment

Just don't use a wire brush, use nylon.

Comment

Nylon brush. Teflon coated rod with a free spinning handle. Brass jag. Bore guide. Be careful pulling it back through the muzzle so you don’t hurt the crown.

Butchs and sweets 7.62. To remove ALL build up after those you can use iosso cream. Will take it back to bare metal.

Comment

Working...
                        X