more energy option for ar-15 platform??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more energy option for ar-15 platform??

killed dozens and dozens.... of pigs from rice fields/woods, etc with hornady 55gr sp training ammo from a rock river arms 24" barrel. really can't remember losing any. put my nv on a 16" ar to trim a bunch of weight and have now been unable to recover 6 of the last 15. same ammo.. yeah, i know it is prob. hundreds of fps slower.. what uppers are available for a bit more k.o. power? i reload, if that helps

Grendel or 6.8

Comment

and all i have to do is take the upper off and replace it? will mag's still fit? (i know very very little of ar's)

Comment

Don't know about 6.8 mags but grendel mags are unique to that round. A complete upper with bcg will fit right on your lower.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
          and all i have to do is take the upper off and replace it? will mag's still fit? (i know very very little of ar's)
          Need barrel swap, bolt, and mags for 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc

Comment

77 grain?

Comment

6.8 needs her own mags...300 BO uses the same 5.56

Comment

You can fit between 3 & 8, 6.8 rounds in a standard 223 mag, and it will function.
                Having a 30rnd mag, that only has 5 rnds in it though isn't very efficient.
                6.8 mags are all going to be steel, unless you get a LWRCI, in which case you can buy P-Mags.
                If going with a short barrel, I would choose the 6.8.
                There's also the 25-45 or whatever name you want to call it, if you want to be different .

Comment

6.8spc, 6.5 grendel or 300 BO.
                  You can slap any of these complete uppers on your existing 5.6 rifle lower by pulling the two pins and slapping it on. You can put 3 or 4 grendel rounds in a 20 round 5.6 magazine to get by but the grendel and 6.8 need their own.
                  Grendel will shoot 120 grain projectiles good. 6.8 about same bullet weight 300 a little heavier bullets slower.

Comment

Got to a 77 grain, I shoot the IMI it is some hot stuff. We have yet to loose anything shot with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                      Got to a 77 grain, I shoot the IMI it is some hot stuff. We have yet to loose anything shot with it.

What length barrel are you shooting the IMI ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm sold on grendel. Good luck with ammo though

Comment

Look up the 25-45 sharps caliber by Sharps Rifle Co. All that is required is a barrel swap from a 5.56 and everything else is the same. The cartridge is simply a 223/556 case necked up to .257. No fire forming or case cutting required and you can throw an 87/90 grn pill near 3k fps from the AR-15 platform.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            You can fit between 3 & 8, 6.8 rounds in a standard 223 mag, and it will function.
                            Having a 30rnd mag, that only has 5 rnds in it though isn't very efficient.
                            6.8 mags are all going to be steel, unless you get a LWRCI, in which case you can buy P-Mags.
                            If going with a short barrel, I would choose the 6.8.
                            There's also the 25-45 or whatever name you want to call it, if you want to be different .
                            That 25-45 Sharps is a wicked round, but doesn't look to have caught on.
                            350 Legend will go in an AR15 platform. We have had very good luck with it. Slaps the snot out of a hog. Effective range will be decreased though, as with 300 BO.

Comment

I'd probably go with a .224 Valkyrie if I was switching cartridges. But I'd probably try a heavier grain bonded bullet in .223 beforehand. I've seen where softpoints blew up on bone while huntin coyotes and they don't have near the mass that a hog does. Often times bullet selection can make a difference. For your intended use I think a bonded bullet would do a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                              X