No announcement yet.

Another iron to add to the fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts on what kind of engine it has now/will have?

Comment

I don’t hate it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye717 View Post
        Any thoughts on what kind of engine it has now/will have?
        Factory 360 with about 5000 on rebuild

Going Friday to try a standby at Gus Engling, if that don't work out I will probably drain fuel Saturday and put a battery on and see what happens.

Does not look like it has a bottom drain on the tank so might be a challenge to get the funky old fuel out

Comment

In for this one!

Comment

in.

Comment

Very neat

Comment

I like it.

Comment

awesome truck . In for the follow

Comment

Well after several other things have managed to get in my way I finally made a little progress
                    Tires that were on it had excellent tread but had been sitting flat so long they were cracked and hard and no way they would ever hold air
                    Got them off and drug a set out of the recycle pile at the tire shop down the road that will work to be able to move her around

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7569.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	24699911

Name:	IMG_7574.jpg
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	24699912

Name:	IMG_7639.jpg
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	24699913

Next on the list is get the fuel tank cleaned out and lines cleared
                    Then battery and see what happens

Comment

Comment

That's nice, I like it. I did not know they made the Explorer package that far back. I knew they had the Ranger, I think a Camper Special, then I think a Sportsman. I had a 78 F150 4X4, long bed super cab Explorer, as my first vehicle. All of the Explorer package trucks I can remember seeing, were from the later 70s, did not seem many of those.

I would plan on replacing every piece of rubber in that fuel system, ever piece of rubber hose, the fuel pump and then rebuild the carb, clean it thoroughly, and a new fuel filter. Modern fuels do a lot of damage to anything rubber, then can cause multiple types of build up gunk, corrosion, ECT, in areas of the fuel system where there was previously more fuel, such as in fuel filters, fuel pumps, injectors, carbs, ECT.

So have you looked at the distributor, to see if it still has an old points distributor in it? I would probably plan on at least filing the points, then regapping them before you try to start it. You may need the common, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, tune up afterwards, but just cleaning the points, and adjusting them will likely do a lot.

It should be a fun project, I mean will keep you from getting bored for quite a while, depending on how far you want to go, with fixing it up. I like those front brakes on that truck, much better than what they put on the F100s of the same time period. That thing has some serious calipers. I have only worked on a few of those trucks that were 3/4 or 1 ton, then it has been many years since I worked on any trucks from that era. I love those trucks.

I bought my daughter a 69 F100 short bed, that we started on, then ran into a bunch of hidden rust, that put the project on hold, till I have time to deal with replacing sheet metal. I have been buying and stashing parts for that truck for years. It should be interesting, when I get back on that project.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          Well after several other things have managed to get in my way I finally made a little progress
                          Tires that were on it had excellent tread but had been sitting flat so long they were cracked and hard and no way they would ever hold air
                          Got them off and drug a set out of the recycle pile at the tire shop down the road that will work to be able to move her around

[ATTACH]1110438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1110439[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1110440[/ATTACH]

Next on the list is get the fuel tank cleaned out and lines cleared
                          Then battery and see what happens
                          If you need a fuel tank let me know. I relocated mine below the bed and have the factory tank sitting in my shop.

Comment

Pull the plugs and squirt some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder before you try to turn it over. I just got my dads dodge running after sitting for seven years. Engine cranked fine, but I had lots of chewed wires and a bad fuel pump. Once the wire it was fixed and the fuel pump she fired right up. Once you get her running, switch out the oil and antifreeze. You probably can count on rebuilding the carb if it was last running with ethanol gas.

I like the patina with a clear coat idea. Keep it as is.

Comment

Man makes me miss my 78 from high school

Comment

Working...
                              X