• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more public land kills
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

Laid this guy down yesterday.

I’ll get a write up posted eventually. Didn’t get him out til close to midnight [emoji38].
      Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

Laid this guy down yesterday.

I’ll get a write up posted eventually. Didn’t get him out til close to midnight [emoji38].
        What a great buck! Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
          Some more public land kills
          🤯 that’s some great huntin, much respect and congrats !

Comment

This is my first archery kill and it was public land/solo/on foot. After retrieving my arrow, I only found two drops of blood, but was able to track prints for 130 yds until he got on top in the thicker grass. Just about that time, my headlamp flickers and dies with no spare batteries or backup headlamp. Phone conversions with a buddy and some feedback from tracking guys had us convinced it was a flesh wound. I was pretty discouraged after a 3 hr search and started the 2.5 mi hike back to the truck in the dark.

I had been going back and forth with different pack setups that week and left out the spare batteries. When I made it back to the truck, the backup headlamp was sittingrightthere in the centerconsole. The lack of blood had me convinced I might see this buck another day and I didn't take Monday vacation to resume the search.

After work Thursday of the same week, I head out. I'm going in taking what I thought was the same trail where I'd lost his tracks on Sunday evening. I went about 50 yards further before making the turn. I check my phone gps and see where I needed to course-correct to get back to where the headlamp died. About 3 minutes later I come up on this. He had died 20 yds to the north of the path I exited with a large tree/bush between him and that path. He was about 35 yds from where the light gave out.

I am thankful to have recovered the deadhead for a euro and the huge poison ivy scabs on my knees/shins are healing. In hindsight I'm guessing I hit high lung and never filled enough for him to blow it out his mouth, entrance or exit.
            Attached Files

Comment

That’s tough but good effort finding him

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                This is my first archery kill and it was public land/solo/on foot. After retrieving my arrow, I only found two drops of blood, but was able to track prints for 130 yds until he got on top in the thicker grass. Just about that time, my headlamp flickers and dies with no spare batteries or backup headlamp. Phone conversions with a buddy and some feedback from tracking guys had us convinced it was a flesh wound. I was pretty discouraged after a 3 hr search and started the 2.5 mi hike back to the truck in the dark.

I had been going back and forth with different pack setups that week and left out the spare batteries. When I made it back to the truck, the backup headlamp was sittingrightthere in the centerconsole. The lack of blood had me convinced I might see this buck another day and I didn't take Monday vacation to resume the search.

After work Thursday of the same week, I head out. I'm going in taking what I thought was the same trail where I'd lost his tracks on Sunday evening. I went about 50 yards further before making the turn. I check my phone gps and see where I needed to course-correct to get back to where the headlamp died. About 3 minutes later I come up on this. He had died 20 yds to the north of the path I exited with a large tree/bush between him and that path. He was about 35 yds from where the light gave out.

I am thankful to have recovered the deadhead for a euro and the huge poison ivy scabs on my knees/shins are healing. In hindsight I'm guessing I hit high lung and never filled enough for him to blow it out his mouth, entrance or exit.
                If it weren't for birthdays and the need for Pepto Bismol, I would've been out there to help you find him!

Still, that beats the heck out of the spike I killed for my first bow kill! Proud of you dude!

Comment

Agwrestler that’s a great pub land buck, really feel for ya not finding him the day you shot.
                  Get back out and get another one.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    Agwrestler that’s a great pub land buck, really feel for ya not finding him the day you shot.
                    Get back out and get another one.
                    Thanks!! I also DIY'd the euro. Haven't decided if I'll whiten the skull.
                    Attached Files

Comment

<-------------Both my Hag bucks

Comment

Laguna Atascosa bow 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasattitude5 View Post
                          Laguna Atascosa bow 10

Well earned trophy there

Comment

Great buck Texasattitude

Comment

Com’on fellas I know this could get updated. Let’s see’em

Comment

Not the caliber of buck I planned on but plans change. Sad it could possibly be my last mule deer for some time as I’ve moved from the lower 48.

This was another public land kill from this year but was in its own thread. Pretty proud of this one going P&Y.

Comment

Working...
                                X