No announcement yet.

Rifle Aim Point for Dropping a Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High shoulder would work for dropping where they stood, but any well placed shot will crumple them in their tracks eventually lol. Spinal shots work as well but room for error is less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      2/3s up the body in line with the front leg.
      This is the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Exactly, it’s literally, the biggest part of the deer.

Remington core lokts, green and yellow box….don’t overthink this.

this,it's all i have used in my 3006,and it's taken over 100 deer DRT

Comment

This is a very interesting subject in that there are so many different answers, I have always been told to shoot just behind the shoulder by east Texas hunters. I have heard meat/survival hunters in Alaska say the only place you should shoot animals is in the head. First time I have heard of the high shoulder shot....fascinating subject tho.

Also I have seen pictures from a co worker, lifelong east Texas national forest hunter, shot two doe with the same .243, same spot in the shoulder, both kill shots, one zipped right thru and one exploded on the exit you could stick you fist inside. Same bullet but not sure which one.
          Last edited by Anon; 08-08-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

This works exceptionally well for coyotes as well.

This is my preferred spot to shoot everything in North America if I can. I don’t really care about 5lbs of hamburger meat if I am not tracking it.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              2/3s up the body in line with the front leg.
              Yep! I do the same with a bow on a broadside critter!

Comment

High shoulder is the best broadside drop on the spot shot. We call it the Bone Crusher. Unfortunately you don’t always get a perfect broadside shot. Any angle and you need to make adjustments possibly to another location. Big deer don’t always pose for you.

Comment

Dead center middle of the body horizontally and in line with the front leg gets my vote. I don't think that high shoulder shot has as much room for error. I've seen a lot of different animals get up after just having their spine shocked. I'd rather them run just a bit with a broken down front end and vitals hit, than watch them drop only to get up and run off. Now for a follow up shot, high shoulder or base of neck is great.

Comment

Originally posted by J-J Matt View Post
                    Dead center middle of the body horizontally and in line with the front leg gets my vote. I don't think that high shoulder shot has as much room for error. I've seen a lot of different animals get up after just having their spine shocked. I'd rather them run just a bit with a broken down front end and vitals hit, than watch them drop only to get up and run off. Now for a follow up shot, high shoulder or base of neck is great.
                    This.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                      Outside of the head and neck, isn’t there a shoulder shot with a good percentage of crumpling them in their tracks?
                      Putting a 165 gr. SST bullet here works very well for me. Dropped many bucks right where they stood with this combo of placement and bullet.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Breaks the spine and instantly butt hits the ground. DRT
                        Also takes out major arteries too if using a good bullet.
                        Them old green and yellow box Remingtons kilt more deer quicker than any other ammo PERIOD!

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dbap View Post
                            Putting a 165 gr. SST bullet here works very well for me. Dropped many bucks right where they stood with this combo of placement and bullet.
                            That's my shot, too, and where I advise my kids to shoot.
                            Like Walker alluded to, there's more room for error.

Comment

[ATTACH]1098875[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                                [ATTACH]1098875[/ATTACH]
                                This is pretty close to where i go for except a little more into the shoulder. Man told me a long time ago if you take out the running gear they go down right then. Not enough meat on the shoulder for me to sweat losing a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X