Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This barrel break in seems insane! Really needed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like if they're gonna shoot ....they shoot. Hard not to attempt some type of precautionary measures if wanting the best results though.

Last edited by Notaguide; 08-09-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

non-sense unless your shooting f-class

Comment

From their explanation at the end it sounds like it’s just as much about ease of cleaning than anything.

Comment

Seems like you are doing the lapping and cleaning for them. Maybe they should do all that after firing the test round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd follow their procedure to preserve your warranty, if for no other reason. I had to send my Ridgeline back under warranty to be re-barreled. They did ask about barrel break in and ammo used.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
              I'd follow their procedure to preserve your warranty, if for no other reason. I had to send my Ridgeline back under warranty to be re-barreled. They did ask about barrel break in and ammo used.

Stu
              If a barrel won’t shoot it’s not because it didn’t get “broken in”. It was poorly manufactured. Glad you got yours replaced under warranty.

Comment

I've never heard of barrel break in. I clean before I sight in and thats it. SMH.

Comment

I went down the barrel break in rabbit hole 10+ years ago. Bench rest guys were all over the place, Tubb included. After reading, more than I care to admit, I concluded this. Shoot a few boxes through a new barrel, clean it and strip copper, repeat. Then figure out if it needs to have a few down the pipe to copper back up or if it likes shooting dry.

My ol man’s West German Weatherby has to be shot a few times after a deep cleaning then it starts grouping really well.

I think all the brushing is silly. Strip the copper, oil, one dry patch and shoot.

Comment

I’ve never really followed any barrel break in procedures but what I do know is that the 2 Christensen rifles I’ve had were not sub moa rifles. And I also had a ranger 22 that was horrible.

Comment

huh.. this is silly .." i followed the break in procedure sir" ... prove me wrong! end of story!

in most case barrel break in is shooting it ... basically smoothing out machine marks from a less than perfect manufacturing process...

i've had guns that i have a hard time pushing a patch through , and others that feel butter smooth from the get go ... a rough bore would logically cause more copper to be transferred to the grooves ...

some guns actually shoot better when fouled some ... but there is a limit.

my best example is my m&p 22lr pistol ... bought it new ... after 80 rounds it started shooting like crap ...
                      took it apart , looked in barrel and the last inch at the muzzle was literally caked with lead .
                      cleaned all the lead out .. shot it and within another box it was caked again .. took it apart again , flitzed the crap out of the end for hours until butter smooth .. and now and for years since it shoots lights out...

bottom line is if it's quality , it should be butter smooth from the get go .. if it's not , it's probably due to less than perfect manufacturing .. heck back in the day they had lapping procedures .. due to in part machining imperfections ..

it's metal on metal contact and the hardest material wins ...

Comment

I've never done a 'break-in' either, it isn't a car. Although in several new rifles I've bought, I always clean the factory sludge out of it first.
                        Shoot several rounds through it, clean it again, nothing else.

Comment

I sight in my Rem 700 in 300 win mag every year. If it hits where it did last year, I'm done. Never, ever had to adjust my scope. Then, I don't clean it until I'm done in Jan unless I get caught in some bad weather.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            If a barrel won’t shoot it’s not because it didn’t get “broken in”. It was poorly manufactured. Glad you got yours replaced under warranty.
                            I don't disagree with you. Never had to "break in" a barrel beyond good cleaning and not overheating it.

Stu

Comment

My daughter-in-law had a custom .260 built. I went with the guy that made the rifle to a private range to do the break-in. His process was meticulous and took a while to complete. The good part was the private range was on a ranch in the Uvalde area and had a two room hand loading/shooting Bldg. Air conditioned with a concrete bench to shoot out a window on a 1000 yard range. Hand loading bench and a separate cleaning station in one room. What a setup! I think part of the downside of break-in is the inconvenience. The right facility makes the process a breeze.

Comment

It is a myth quit wasting Bullets time and money.

Comment

Working...
                                X