Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This barrel break in seems insane! Really needed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This barrel break in seems insane! Really needed???

Ive read multiple things online. 1/2 the people believe you DO need to break in a barrel and the other 1/2 say shoot it.

I just got a new Christensen arms Ridgeline. Christensen’s website says to do it in multiple spots. But the procedure seems EXTREME! What are y’all’s opinions of this?

PROCEDURE

O1/ CLEAR BORE

First make sure that the barrel is clean and free of any oil or solvents from shipping or the manufacturing processes. Fire either a 5 shot group or two three shot groups.

O2/ BOREBRUSH

With the bore guide inserted, run the soaked patch through the barrel breach to muzzle, removing it at the muzzle. Repeat this with a new soaked patch 3 times or until no black is showing on the patch. Then, using the correct- for- caliber size nylon brush soaked, scrub the barrel back and forth making sure the brush completely exits the muzzle and chamber before reversing direction. Repeat this step 20 times for a total of 40 passes through the barrel. Follow this with a dry patch removing as it exits the muzzle. Repeat this until the patch comes out clean and dry.

O3/ SMALL BOREBRUSH

Next, using the smaller brush, run a soaked patch through the bbl scrubbing back and forth for a total of 20 passes through the bbl. Again, make sure that the patch exits the bbl on both ends before reversing direction. You will notice a blue tint on the soaked patches, this is from the copper being dissolved. Follow with dry patches until the patches come out clean and dry. Repeat this process until the soaked patches show no blue coloration.

O4/ SHOOT AGAIN

Shoot another 5 rounds or 2 Three-Shot groups

O5/ REPEAT STEPS 2-4

As you repeat this sequence, you will begin to notice that your patches start to become clean quicker. This is because the rough surfaces that are holding brass are being smoothed out a little at a time. Over my years as a custom gunsmith, I feel like 50 rounds on average is the sweet spot for most bbls. Some will smooth up faster and some will take longer depending on the bbl and the cartridge it is chambered for. I have had bbls that, in the prime of their life will clean up with no brushing with as little as five to ten passes with the soaked patch. Remember that every bbl is different; this is a guideline, not an absolute process and enjoy your time at the range with your rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it was me and I just picked up that rifle would follow what they say considering they made the rifle and are the "experts".

Please note that I don't own any expensive rifles. With all of my "regular" rifles (Ruger, Winchester, Remington, etc...), I have never followed a specific break in procedure. I would first clean the brand new barrels, shoot them and clean the barrels when done. And have really good accuracy for my hunting purposes.

Comment

Savage has pretty much the same procedure as above. On one gun I kind of halfway followed it, on the other I just shot it. Both shoot as good as one can expect for run of the mill guns. I'd do the procedure about twice and call it good myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
        If it was me and I just picked up that rifle would follow what they say considering they made the rifle and are the "experts".

Please note that I don't own any expensive rifles. With all of my "regular" rifles (Ruger, Winchester, Remington, etc...), I have never followed a specific break in procedure. I would first clean the brand new barrels, shoot them and clean the barrels when done. And have really good accuracy for my hunting purposes.
        If they really were experts they’d do a better job of making sure half of their rifles don’t suck LOL. They’ve had issues with accuracy for years.

That’s a typical barrel break in. If it makes you feel better, do it! If not, shoot it. They can’t tell either way and you won’t either. If done improperly or with the wrong tools, you can do more harm than good.

Comment

I have 2 Ruger Americans. Other than cleaning all the grease/oil out before shooting they don't recommend any special cleaning regimen...and mine easily shoot 1/2 moa and sometimes less, even with this loose nut on the trigger.

Comment

They must use some crappy barrels if you have to do all that. Too many bad reviews to buy one of their guns. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              If they really were experts they’d do a better job of making sure half of their rifles don’t suck LOL. They’ve had issues with accuracy for years.

That’s a typical barrel break in. If it makes you feel better, do it! If not, shoot it. They can’t tell either way and you won’t either. If done improperly or with the wrong tools, you can do more harm than good.
              A. Christensen Arms has been sold, and the people running it are not the original owners. I don't know whether that is the original owners' instructions or not.
              B. This is the first time that I've ever seen a break in that recommended pulling a brush back through the muzzle, with potential for damaging the crown. Personally, I wouldn't do that.

Comment

I was on board with the part about deep cleaning the barrel to get out all the contaminants from the shipping process. What got me was that part about smoothing out all the sharp edges. Granted, I'm not in the barrel cutting business, but I feel like this is something the manufacturer should be doing on their end. I wonder what that's all about?

Comment

I have never done any barrel break procedures on a new gun, or new barrel. I always cleared the barrel, not knowing what may have been put in the barrel to keep it from rusting, then shot it. For 40 something years, that's what we did with all of our new guns, or guns that got a new barrel.

Then in recent years, I picked up one gun and one barrel, that were use, but shot very little. Both of the barrels were fouled badly. Once I got to cleaning both, found lots of copper in both barrels. The complete rifle, I did have accuracy problems, but part of that was I was shooting too heavy of a bullet for that gun, it did not like what I was running through it.

After a lot of cleaning with many products, I was getting most of the copper out, but I could fire two or three rounds and have bunch of copper right back in both barrels. The barrel on the rifle, definitely had some F'ed up machining that went one, inside the barrel. I discovered some abrasive coated bullets for lapping in the barrel, shot those, they did some amazing things for slicking up the barrel. Then I found Wheeler's makes a kit so you can put lapping compound on any bullet, then shoot it.

I did a bunch of reading on fire lapping, I think that's what they call it. The process, definitely slicks up the bore, knocks down rough spots. I was very impressed, but you could definitely wear or loosen a barrel too much with the process, if you are not careful. It did wonders for the accuracy of the one rifle, greatly reduced the barrel fouling and the gun picked up velocity.

The process is used by competition shooters, trying to get the most out of their guns. There are many who are very much against the idea, saying you are wearing out the barrel, you are going to open the barrel up/make the bullets fit looser in the barrel, ECT.

After all of what I saw, dealing with the fouling problems with those two barrels, then what I saw when shooting those abrasive bullets down the barrel. There could be something to the whole break in process. I really don't think it's going to be a big difference, going through the proper break in procedure or not doing the procedure. But I would clean the barrel very well before shooting it the first time. Then going back and cleaning in thoroughly after a shot or two, probably would not be a bad idea.

But on the other hand, if you fire lapped the barrel, for the break in process, that will definitely make a difference in what you have for a barrel, afterwards. The company, that makes those lapping bullets is Tubb's, they are up in the panhandle. Then wheeler's makes a kit, so you can make your own lapping bullets. In the future on guns, I want to get the most out of, I am going to lap the barrels in. If you decide to try the process at some point. I would suggest getting on Tubb's web site and reading as much as possible, before trying it.

Eventually, I am going to have another barrel put on the rifle, that has the barrel, with the F'ed up machining in the barrel. But for now, I have to say, it shoots pretty dang good. I have never seen machining screw ups anywhere near as bad, as what was done to the barrel on that one rifle. How that barrel left the factory, is very surprising. It was extremely obvious, that it had some serious problems. Shooting those Tubb's lapping bullets down the barrel, worked wonders. It shoots some tight groups, then I am getting almost 3100 fps, from a 6.5 Creedmoor, shooting 129 gr. Accubond Long Range bullets.

If just clean the gun and shoot it or follow the proper break in procedure, I really don't think you will seem much difference in how the gun, shoots, by the time, you have run 50 rounds through it. Unless there are some bad spots in the barrel that need to be cleaned up. Then maybe the break in procedure, may fix those, as where, not doing so, might make things worse. But the barrel fire lapping, will definitely give you a nicer bore, if you do that process.

Comment

I have a CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC and I didn't follow their break in procedure. I just took it out and shot it and cleaned it. Mine shoots bugholes.

Comment

I’ve never done a barrel break in, but I don’t own any real High end rifles either. All of mine shoot just fine. Interesting stuff.

Comment

I’ve done the break-in and I’ve just shot them. I never could see a difference, but if you think about it all rifles are different so how could you ever definitely prove a difference. You can’t so I’m not gonna worry about it.

Comment

Clean it, shoot it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            A. Christensen Arms has been sold, and the people running it are not the original owners. I don't know whether that is the original owners' instructions or not.
                            B. This is the first time that I've ever seen a break in that recommended pulling a brush back through the muzzle, with potential for damaging the crown. Personally, I wouldn't do that.
                            Agreed. I use nylon brushes from Bore Tech for this reason.

I’ve still seen issues with the new ownership. Just not near as bad

Comment

Seems excessive to me. Clean it shoot it.

If you want to do a “break in” just clean it as you would after every 5-10 shots. I’ve never done that and have some pretty good shooting rifles.

Comment

Working...
                              X