Load development and scope mounting help - Houston area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    Keep doing what you been doing. Sooner or later it will bite you in the backside. Brass flows forward and eventually you will get some that won't chamber. Bumping the shoulder 2 thou or so is where it's at. Buy some better quality brass and you'll get 20 loadings out of a case if you don't hotrod.

That’s what I’ve been told by guys reloading for 30 years and have loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds usually annually. That is, if you’re wanting to load benchrest accuracy out of a 9.5 pound hunting rifle. . If it’s capable of 1/3-1/4 moa, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
      Best way is to neck size for the first few firings. You then check brass without the firing spring in gun. As it’s hard to chamber you bump 1-2 thou and now your set for your specific chamber.

I do neck size and FL size in two separate steps. Unfortunately Lee doesn’t have a collet due for the 300prc yet.
      Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work. I don't believe there are any F class shooters that neck size. They shoot tiny little groups at long distance. I think I'll keep doing what they are doing.

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLG2kSrD40g"]STOP NECK SIZING YOUR BRASS!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Erik Cortina’s perspective on it.

Comment

Hey man if you’re still needing help I can give you a hand. I’m in the Wharton area but work in Houston so could meet up with you some time during the week to grab components and help you get all set up. Don’t really need to fire form all 100 and can do load dev in well under 20 rounds. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested, it being a fairly new chamber spec it’s not hard to have something right out of the gate shooting .75-.5 if the gun is fully capable

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
            Hey man if you’re still needing help I can give you a hand. I’m in the Wharton area but work in Houston so could meet up with you some time during the week to grab components and help you get all set up. Don’t really need to fire form all 100 and can do load dev in well under 20 rounds. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested, it being a fairly new chamber spec it’s not hard to have something right out of the gate shooting .75-.5 if the gun is fully capable

I appreciate it. I should have some help this week if all works out. Friend of a friend. He has a shop he loads and builds in with a pretty cool set up. Sit in the a/c and shoot out a window next to a loading bench with all components at arms reach. Even has lights to help fine tune loads at night after it cools down and the mirage goes away. I’ll know for sure on Tuesday though.

Comment

OP, good luck with finding some help. As to your loss of strength, have you had an MRI done on your neck? Last fall, I experienced a similar issue with a very gradual loss of strength almost unnoticeable. on my left side, then it seemed to be overnight with a dramatic strength loss. I had some minor upper back pain, but nothing dramatic. MRI and a consult with a neurosurgeon showed lower neck impingement with nerve compression. The follow up nerve test showed which nerves were impacted and verified the MRI findings. A two level neck fusion surgery fixed the issue.

10 months post op, I'm 100% recovered in some nerves, 60-80% in others. The loss of strength is incredibly frustrating when trying to perform daily activities.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                OP, good luck with finding some help. As to your loss of strength, have you had an MRI done on your neck? Last fall, I experienced a similar issue with a very gradual loss of strength almost unnoticeable. on my left side, then it seemed to be overnight with a dramatic strength loss. I had some minor upper back pain, but nothing dramatic. MRI and a consult with a neurosurgeon showed lower neck impingement with nerve compression. The follow up nerve test showed which nerves were impacted and verified the MRI findings. A two level neck fusion surgery fixed the issue.

10 months post op, I'm 100% recovered in some nerves, 60-80% in others. The loss of strength is incredibly frustrating when trying to perform daily activities.

The mri of the cervical spine as well as the shoulder showed no signs that would cause the sudden numbness in my arm and severe loss of strength. Ct scan was clear, ekg was clear. I have a nerve test tomorrow to see if and where there may be an issue. I can now lift my arm over my head and above my shoulder laterally but takes some effort to do so. Probably couldn’t do it with 10 pounds in my hand though. The area from my elbow to my shoulder is a constant dull numb feeling. Almost the same sensation you feel as a nerve block injection is wearing off. Every day o continue to get more movement back but it’s slow. It’s been over a week and I’ve only been able to lift my arm for 3 days. Each day it gets easier but at a snails pace. If I have my arm in a sling for extended periods my shoulder feels as it’s tightening up as does my elbow and forearm. So I forgo the sling and try to move my arm around and stretch throughout the day in order to keep it from tightening. Been throwing a heating pad on at night to try and relax the muscles.

And you’re right. Frustration is an understatement. I now have a tiny glimpse of what my. Dad went through when I was a kid and lost his left arm between his elbow and wrist at 40 years old. And he was left handed. This sucks on so many level. Especially right now with work being busy and trying to go to Alaska on a drop caribou hunt in 4 weeks with just me and my wife.

I desperately need the usage of my arm in a month. This was supposed to be our last giant adventure before having kids and we’ve been working towards this trip for the last 2 years by getting her comfortable in the Colorado mountains. This is her trip. She decided that this is what she wanted to do. Over anything else. And now I’m a dam gimp that can’t do half of what I could 10 days ago….

Comment

Keep the faith brother! I felt like I needed a hoist and pulley to accomplish anything with my arm. I hope you find some answers quickly, I've had my share of surgeries but the loss of strength from nerve damage leaves you helpless mentally.

Sounds like your taking all the right steps, keep us posted on the nerve test. Man, I really sympathize with your condition.

Comment

I was struggling working up a load for my .300 WinMag in time when my friend, who owns Patco Ace Hardware in Alvin, TX suggested the reload ammo he sells. I shot some 180 gr bullets that shot as well as any reloads I've tried. I killed my elk at 400 and a mulie at 200. They have numerous bullets you can't find anywhere and will make some for you given a little time. I bought 4 boxes and don't anticipate reloading the .300 winmag for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      Keep the faith brother! I felt like I needed a hoist and pulley to accomplish anything with my arm. I hope you find some answers quickly, I've had my share of surgeries but the loss of strength from nerve damage leaves you helpless mentally.

Sounds like your taking all the right steps, keep us posted on the nerve test. Man, I really sympathize with your condition.

Just finished the EMG nerve test. Let me tell you, that sucked. Nothing more fun than having electrical impulses shot through each nerve in your arm. I swear a couple felt like 110 volts. Just when you think it can’t get much worse, the dr had me flex each muscle in each arm as he stuck a very large needle into/under each muscle to take readings. Pretty sure the worst was the muscles in my hand. Add having your skin dripping wet with alcohol and the burn sets in.

Misery.

But, good news was that all the tests were normal. I have one more MRI of the brachial plexus. The Doc seems to think I just have slept on it wrong for too long and inflamed or stretched the nerve and hopefully since it’s continuing to get better it will heal on its own in a few more weeks.

Comment

Great news

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          Looking for some help reloading for a 300prc and mounting a scope. Picked up the gun a couple days ago and need to mount a NF nx8 on it, fire form 100 brass, and work a hunting load up. I have all components for reloading (brass, primers, powder, projectiles, neck sizer, seating die, mandrel). I don’t have a press, trimmer, powder dispenser, etc. I have a friend that is awesome at reloading (prs shooter) but he doesn’t have time in the next 2-3 weeks and I leave to Alaska (hopefully) on Sep 6. Should have had my gun back a month ago but there was an issue with the stock and manners had to rebuild one for me. I could use his equipment but can’t for two reasons the first is that I don’t have the experience needed really and not comfortable taking on the task. The second is I developed a nerve issue in my left arm on Saturday that has left me with about 70% loss of usage in my arm. Spent this week doing CT scan, EKG, MRI, etc. with no answers from those tests. I have a nerve test next Tuesday to check nerve impulses to hope and see where the issue lies. Doc keeps throwing out multiple sclerosis as a higher probability. Hope to dodge that bullet. We will see. At least I can kind of move it today and lift my elbow level with my shoulder. Had no use at all Saturday.

Anywho, thought I’d ask and see if anyone could help. If not, I’ll leave it in the safe if I go to Alaska and bang away at caribou with my 270. I’m willing to pay someone for their time to compensate for the trouble.

I’m in Tomball, if you bring your stuff I have everything set up and we can do what you need. Just PM me if you’re interested.

Comment

Working...
                          X