Load development and scope mounting help - Houston area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load development and scope mounting help - Houston area

Looking for some help reloading for a 300prc and mounting a scope. Picked up the gun a couple days ago and need to mount a NF nx8 on it, fire form 100 brass, and work a hunting load up. I have all components for reloading (brass, primers, powder, projectiles, neck sizer, seating die, mandrel). I don’t have a press, trimmer, powder dispenser, etc. I have a friend that is awesome at reloading (prs shooter) but he doesn’t have time in the next 2-3 weeks and I leave to Alaska (hopefully) on Sep 6. Should have had my gun back a month ago but there was an issue with the stock and manners had to rebuild one for me. I could use his equipment but can’t for two reasons the first is that I don’t have the experience needed really and not comfortable taking on the task. The second is I developed a nerve issue in my left arm on Saturday that has left me with about 70% loss of usage in my arm. Spent this week doing CT scan, EKG, MRI, etc. with no answers from those tests. I have a nerve test next Tuesday to check nerve impulses to hope and see where the issue lies. Doc keeps throwing out multiple sclerosis as a higher probability. Hope to dodge that bullet. We will see. At least I can kind of move it today and lift my elbow level with my shoulder. Had no use at all Saturday.

Anywho, thought I’d ask and see if anyone could help. If not, I’ll leave it in the safe if I go to Alaska and bang away at caribou with my 270. I’m willing to pay someone for their time to compensate for the trouble.

Good luck - bump sir...

Comment

Hopefully this turns out good for you, hope it's something simple, and you get it fixed before the hunt. I would help with the loading, but a long ways from you.

Comment

At this point, if you really want to shoot the PRC I’d try some factory ammo. If it shoots good take it. If not, use the 270. You’re too close to leaving to work up a load.

Prayers for your heath situation

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
          At this point, if you really want to shoot the PRC I’d try some factory ammo. If it shoots good take it. If not, use the 270. You’re too close to leaving to work up a load.

Prayers for your heath situation

Appreciate the prayers. Really do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Think of it like this, if it helps. The old timers used to kill caribou with far less Technolgy on every front before. Get you some quality factory ammo and see what the rifle likes. As for the scope, take it and the rifle to a gunsmith to have it mounted if you don’t know the process. Either one of those rifle will kill a caribou. I hope that your arm heals before your trip. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
              Think of it like this, if it helps. The old timers used to kill caribou with far less Technolgy on every front before. Get you some quality factory ammo and see what the rifle likes. As for the scope, take it and the rifle to a gunsmith to have it mounted if you don’t know the process. Either one of those rifle will kill a caribou. I hope that your arm heals before your trip. Good luck.

It’s not the not knowing the process to mount the scope. It’s trying to do it with 1 1/3 arms. Lol. Took an hour just to gets rings on and scope on just to make sure rings would work with integrated rail.

Comment

Get rid of that neck sizing die and get you a full length or full length bushing die. People in the know don’t use neck sizing does anymore. Especially on hunting guns.Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Get rid of that neck sizing die and get you a full length or full length bushing die. People in the know don’t use neck sizing does anymore. Especially on hunting guns.

It’s a full length bushing die. That was an error on my part. Bullet central micron 300 prc. I have a .330 and .334 bushing. I’m thinking the .334 bushing will do the trick. (Hope) Also have a 21st century expander mandrel with Sinclair 30 cal tin mandrel and bullet central micron full neck size seating die.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    It’s not the not knowing the process to mount the scope. It’s trying to do it with 1 1/3 arms. Lol. Took an hour just to gets rings on and scope on just to make sure rings would work with integrated rail.

Yea I didn’t even think about you not being able to use your arm. My bad. Still, you’re out of time. Have a professional mount the scope, shoot, and start dreaming of caribou in the crosshairs.

Just a fun fact about hunting gear. My brother and I hunted elk in Idaho last year. Preface, I’m a gun nut and have a couple custom rifles. All in short action non magnum rounds. Great for Texas but I didn’t want to take them to hunt elk. My brother and I ended buying Christensen Arms Mesas. His in 300 prc and mine in 300 win mag. His topped with a Leupold VX5HD and mine in a swarvo z3. We both killed elk with them and factory ammo. Nice rifles but nothing crazy.

We shared camp with 6 other hunters. 3 of 6 dropped some major coin on custom rifles, optics and loads from gunwerks. Good for them. Point of the story is only one of them actually knew how to utilize their investment. The other 2 (father son duo) were so arrogant and annoying. Bragging about this and that. First day of hunting something with one of those custom rifles went wrong. Literally more worried about the guns and making sure everyone knew they had them and where they were from. They were so consumed about the guns. It was so bad that when their guide got them on an elk they demanded they should back up and not take the 200-300 shot. It was not challenging enough. The guide dumbfounded, did what the client wanted. Back them up to 600 or so yards. You can guess what happened next. They both wounded those elk. One elk was hit way back and high. Right before the pelvis and under the spine. The other elk was gut shot. Luckily they had top notch guides and were able to kill them hours later. After all was said and done the duo packed up the next morning and left before the trip was actually over from embarrassment. And the fact some of the other guys were giving them hell. They had another 2 days to hunt or help scout for other hunters. Both had excuse after excuse to why they make perfect shots.

Best part of the this trip was that the best shot that was made was on the last day by a dentist in his late 70s to early 80s. Killed him with a weatherby in 300 wby. Probably a 20-30 year old gun. Had the weatherby ammo.

Point of the story, get caught up in the hunt and killing the animal in the most humane way. Not the gear. The goal is to get the animal on the ground quick and to enjoy the hunt. I don’t think you can do that worrying about your gear and how it makes you look. Don’t be the father son duo.

Comment

Dan, you should have posted that your wife would be there to help!

Comment

Used to have a business that did just what you're looking for a few years ago, but no longer and without the required FFL these days. As others have said, at this point I'd just try box ammo and find one that shoots and be done with it.

Just about any decent gunsmith should have been able to help mount the scope level and bore sight the scope properly.

Comment

Get rid of that neck sizing die and get you a full length or full length bushing die. People in the know don’t use neck sizing does anymore. Especially on hunting guns.Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Did you mean neck-sizing dies only or neck-sizing in general? If its in general,
                          and your using the same brass in the same gun, then you only need to neck size or else you're working the entire brass all the time, which is needless.
                          All you need is enough tension to hold bullet solidly.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            Did you mean neck-sizing dies only or neck-sizing in general? If its in general,
                            and your using the same brass in the same gun, then you only need to neck size or else you're working the entire brass all the time, which is needless.
                            All you need is enough tension to hold bullet solidly.
                            Keep doing what you been doing. Sooner or later it will bite you in the backside. Brass flows forward and eventually you will get some that won't chamber. Bumping the shoulder 2 thou or so is where it's at. Buy some better quality brass and you'll get 20 loadings out of a case if you don't hotrod.

Comment

Best way is to neck size for the first few firings. You then check brass without the firing spring in gun. As it’s hard to chamber you bump 1-2 thou and now your set for your specific chamber.

I do neck size and FL size in two separate steps. Unfortunately Lee doesn’t have a collet due for the 300prc yet.

Keep doing what you been doing. Sooner or later it will bite you in the backside. Brass flows forward and eventually you will get some that won't chamber. Bumping the shoulder 2 thou or so is where it's at. Buy some better quality brass and you'll get 20 loadings out of a case if you don't hotrod.

Comment

Working...
                              X