No announcement yet.

Oak Tree Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine live oaks are looking pretty rough as well. I have a pin oak that looks great too.

Comment

I am surprised the ones in San Antonio look green as ever.

Comment

All of mine in Boerne are brown as well. Glad someone posted this. I was worried about them. My olive trees got hammered. Hope they survive.

Comment

Plenty of live oaks in Ntex and OK. They'll be fine. Mine were touching the ground and have recovered completely in height. Kinda amazing.

Comment

Like others have mentioned, it just shock/survival mode. Its the trees way of conserving energy. They will molt or shed these leaves and grow to keep from having to send nutrients to all the leaves. You may have seen similar occurrences when its severe drought/heat

Comment

Mine as well, hoping not a permanent thing as a result of the weather

Comment

I think with the hard freeze we had would cause this, but I dont think it would harm the trees.

Comment

Mighty fine compost is in the making with all the dead leaf

Comment

I’m hoping to not have issues !
                    I am concerned to say the least, my whole hill is live oaks and they look horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      Yep, I noticed it here. I am out by Liberty Hill. I think it is a combination of... close to the time they drop their leaves and the ice storm.
                      This.

They also typically drop some acorns in February. I didn't see many of those this year either.

Comment

Yep, I just noticed today, when I was in Universal City, that the live oak leaves were very brown. I have never seen or heard of live oak leaves turning brown after a freeze.

You know you have had a serious freeze when the live oak leaves die, hopefully not the trees. If the stories about the two very hard freezes back in the early 1900s and then one in the 1920s, are true. Then I would say these trees will survive. There are a lot of live oaks around, that are well over 200 years old, but then there are a lot more, that are 80 years old and less. Maybe one of the reasons there are not more of those 200 to 400 year old live oaks around, hopefully that's not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                          If covered in ice before the coldest weather hit, I would think that would be a good thing - should have provided some much needed insulation that way,

Comment

I drove from Dripping Springs to Mason yesterday. If my trees are dying, so is every live oak between Dripping Springs and Fredericksburg as they were all desert tan colored.
                            The interesting thing is that the further north I went, the greener the trees got. Hopefully that doesn't mean they were more hardy and used to cold temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My pool cleaner pump motor went out & my leaf net broke yesterday, pool looks like a compost bin. Guess what I will be doing Saturday when all my parts get delivered.
                              My trees are now looking like bare Pecan trees, I sure hope to see some new growth soon.

Comment

I have 2 Monterey oaks planted last Feb. Called the guy who planted them asking what I needed to do to protect them. His reply, "Mix a stiff drink, stay warm and relax. They're fine" We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X