No announcement yet.

Fish kills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

must happen every year... fishery not close to being as good as Louisiana, I live here but salt water catching is done in Louisiana IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
      Was is the freeze of 83 when east bay froze and then they did a no fishing for “x” amount of time ? I could be wrong.
      That was the bad one that basically started all the stricter red and speck limits. Lost a ton of fish in that one. I remember CC Bay froze over quite a bit. There were dead 30”+ trout all over the place.

Happened again in 89. Not quite as bad.

Comment

If next weeks forecast holds true we won’t know how devastating until Friday in 83-89 coastal rivers had dead fish on both banks 15-20’ of water, stayed below freezing too long.

Comment

Originally posted by MeBilly View Post
          must happen every year... fishery not close to being as good as Louisiana, I live here but salt water catching is done in Louisiana IMHO

That’s cool if you like 12” trout

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

[emoji1787] [emoji1318]he right you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lmao

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was waiting for someone to respond to that comment.

Agree, they can have all those 12” trout, now some 16” redfish, I’ll box those all day long.

Comment

Well this is interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hopefully TPWD can negotiate with the barge companies to stop pushing barges for a few days. That would really help.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Like Capt said not a quick change. I bet places like Shoalwater Pass and Army Hole have fish piled in so thick you could catch them on bare hooks
                      Checked army hole Thursday pre-fishing for the legends tourney. They weren’t thick there yet but should be soon. Was without a doubt the most miserable fishing conditions I’ve been on the water for. Hats off to the guys who fished day 2.

Comment

Fish kill

I just hope everyone who enjoys catching trout does their part if they plan on fishing after this event. If the freeze doesn’t kill the fish they will be stacked in certain places people know about, please tell everyone you know that is going to take it easy on them. Keep a few but cut most loose, there is a lot of people fishing now and a lot of people have way more information on where to be, for the future of the fishery pass this along, don’t stand on em too hard if you get on em afterwards.
                        To the original question no one knows how cold it is gonna get but this might be the closest we have come to match the 80’s. Fingers crossed.

Comment

No crap [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

There will be a lot of turtles lost as well. Hopefully they can save many, as they always do.

Mangrove populations were really getting strong on the coast as well. They will probably be cut back severely by this system. Hopefully it doesn’t stay freezing too long.

Comment

With low's in the low 20's followed by low teens on the upper coast I would think even trout that made it to deeper water may be in jeopardy. Mangroves are toast.
                              Last edited by paul_day1982; 02-13-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Aguechee View Post
                                Agreed. Fishing for trout in the year following the 83 freeze was about as productive as fishing my swimming pool. That cold snap lasted about 2 weeks. Hopefully, this event won't be close to that one as far as trout devastation.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X