Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zztex View Post
    Shane, you and Smart are both friends of mine, but you’re wrong about one thing. If you think you will get the last word in on Smart!������. If either one of you friends need someone to help “cull”, let me know. Have bow and gun and will travel!��

Shane and I are good...Just a little friendly banter

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
      Shane, you and Smart are both friends of mine, but you’re wrong about one thing. If you think you will get the last word in on Smart!������. If either one of you friends need someone to help “cull”, let me know. Have bow and gun and will travel!��
      Lmao! I ain't worried about Smart. I enjoy the camaraderie. Makes life more interesting , I enjoy his post 99 percent of the time and will continue to do so. ( Just don't put beans in chili )

I'm just an 'ol Cotulla Cowboy and he's a Bean Cooker. I'll say it was funny as chit seeing him get wound up ( he'll say he wasn't).

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
        At what point does management take the excitement out of a hunt? I know a few guys who have managed deer herds until they lost the excitement and never hunted again. For what it’s worth you can grow big deer on a big low fence place, just feed em and let em get old. Letting em get old is much harder than I ever imagined LoL

I get real excited when a big (for our place) deer walks in and I shoot it.

That's good enough for me. I don't need to be excited or shoot every buck I see. Heck I don't even shoot a buck every year and we have a large deer population..

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
          Let me ask you this...you hunt 1300 acres low-fence. You HAVE to kill a certain number of bucks. You have a 5 yr old 82” 7 point and a 5 year old 120” 10 point in front of you. Which one will you shoot? Why? Keep in mind your target age on “trophy” bucks is 8 years old.
          I'd shoot both- if the management plan of the ranch calls for it. I'm not questioning anyone's management practices. I'm just saying they don't often work as intended for small low-fence properties.

Management goals for age/genetics/population size/etc..., mean nothing if that 7pt or 10pt (should they be targeted) makes it through the season on your neighbor's un-hunted property.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I see we have a Cotulla cowboy hung up on semantics in our midst....

One can 100% cull/kill less desirable deer out of the herd to remove mouths to allow their better traited deer better nutrition resources. All without any regards concerning improving overall genetics and with full regard for trying to grow the deer alive in front of you bigger. This is not that hard. Age and nutrition availability are things you can control with culling....genetics are not..

Is culling, killing?.....well of course it is. Selection and rejection for a purpose ...aka culling. If one is a Cotulla Cowboy or a DillyBar and they can't get past this, call it what you or your armchair biologist manual says....just don't get your panties in a wad when folks use the word in its true definition.
          Can you cull those 'undesirable' deer if they migrate to your neighbor's property during hunting season?

And believe me, my panties aren't in a wad.
          Last edited by Roy; 10-20-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I think the experts like Kroll are selling whatever BS that puts money in their pocket. It'll change every few years to reinfuse the interest and spending on crap that will line their pockets.

Gary

Comment

On our 2800 LF place, any buck without brow tines is considered a cull. What do you guys think about that? It’s not my rule, but a lease rule nonetheless. I’m really interested in opinions on this

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Can you cull those 'undesirable' deer if they migrate to your neighbor's property during hunting season?

Nope and I couldn’t kill them either .

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                      On our 2800 LF place, any buck without brow tines is considered a cull. What do you guys think about that? It’s not my rule, but a lease rule nonetheless. I’m really interested in opinions on this
                      Nothin wrong with it. I hunt less than 600 ac and if it dont have brow tines it's free game.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Nope and I couldn’t kill them either .
                        LOL. I see what you did there.

Let's say you wanted to kill/cull, or in this case, eat, all the Dilly Bars at your place in order to get rid of them, but the shop next door keeps shipping them over. The only thing you accomplished was getting fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          How about I slow it down for you.... you are not culling, culling in wild life management emphasizes you're killing deer to improve your genetic makeup.

It has nothing to do with numbers. You're killing not culling. Do I need to send you a few managment 101 books on recording, because it seems your interpretation skills are lacking.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wha?

Wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                            Wha?

Wrong.
                            You’re one of the ones I hoped to see comment. Disregard the BS and share your thoughts please sir.

Comment

Comment

I'm not going to get into the debate about culling/ killing and whether or not you should or shouldnt, but I'll throw this picture out there just because. This is the progression from 2014 to 2015. Some would have culled him in 2014 and would have missed the opportunity at a beautiful buck in 2015 and beyond.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X