No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here between 45 and Goldthwaite. Full moon deer movement at a minimum. During morning hunts. Cold front blowing in late evening. Will keep updates when hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cameras showing early morning and early evening movement.

10-19-19 7:33am Bucks fighting...............................
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 10-20-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I saw a few younger bucks this evening.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It looks like buck #1 wants to have a split or two

Comment

Yes he's trying to, cool how all of his points lean forward too.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
              Here are some doe kills over the past few years that shows how low they can drop...

Drop it Low...Doe Edition - YouTube
              Flywise needs to watch this one long and hard!

Awesome vid sir and thanks for sharing

Comment

Thanks! How has your season been going?

Comment

Yea it's on. Buck groups are breaking up. Pushing the ladies................

Comment

It was still slow in llano county as of Sunday, the ladies and gentlemen were still feeding together without any chasing.

Comment

I guess I should log this terrible butt-shot stag I took a couple weekends ago. Lots of these in Llano County - antlers in velvet but no trace of testicles. Weird.

Quartering away, I pulled it left. Hit the artery so he didn’t go far, but bad shot I shouldn’t have taken. Got lucky.

Comment

My mom checked water at the ranch yesterday and saw one mature buck chasing a doe and a young buck chasing a separate doe. She said she also saw a few bucks that were still running together, so it looks to be hit or miss at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                          I guess I should log this terrible butt-shot stag I took a couple weekends ago. Lots of these in Llano County - antlers in velvet but no trace of testicles. Weird.

Quartering away, I pulled it left. Hit the artery so he didn’t go far, but bad shot I shouldn’t have taken. Got lucky.

Tons in Llano Co and then quite a few in Mason and Gillespie Counties too depending on soil type and proximity to granite outcroppings.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                            Tons in Llano Co and then quite a few in Mason and Gillespie Counties too depending on soil type and proximity to granite outcroppings.
                            Yessir, we're covered up in granite. Soil is all just crushed granite.

What causes it? Some sort of fungus in the soil or something?

Comment

I believe so, we always have about 5 bucks like this every year. They stay in velvet until late December then shed the velvet and a week or 2 later drop their horns. They all have no nuts.

Comment

It is still somewhat of a mystery, but they think it is a certain lichen that grows on the rock or on the soil that causes the bucks to be sterile. On some family land about 3 miles from our main ranch we’ll see multiple bucks a year, every year. In our main ranch we have only seen two ever. Pretty crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X