AR15 on deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR15 on deer?

I’m sure it’s been brought up before but since my rifle will be at a smiths for around 2 months I might have to hunt with my 5.56. I know many a deer have been taken with a AR but it’ll be my first time hunting with it. What are your thoughts?

I like a heavier bullet but have killed deer with .223 using the right bullet and knowing my limitations.

Comment

Shot placement
      I used mine too harvest 5-6 deer and several pigs.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

I use mine all the time on deer and hogs ! just make sure of good shot placement and use a good bullet.

Comment

When my son was 6-8 years old he killed a pile of deer with a .223 single shot. All but one dropped in their tracks. I had him shoot them at the base of the neck. With a 55gr or 62gr soft tip bullet, it's deadly. The one deer that didn't drop in its tracks was hit in the lungs. It ran 50 yards before piling up.

Comment

I was thinking neck shot or a high shoulder shot should do the trick.

Comment

Killed my biggest buck, 240 lbs, with my .223 when he didnt want to come in bow range. Neck shot pulled the carpet out from under him.

Comment

Soft Points in the neck. Done deal

Comment

use your bow!

Comment

You will be fine. Pick a good bullet and put it where it needs to go.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

So these neck shots, everyone pretty much aiming for the base of the neck?

Comment

Every time I’ve shot a deer with a little gun, I was less than impressed. That being said, the one deer I shot with my AR, I used a 60 grain Partition and put it in the shoulder. She made it about 50 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaq View Post
                          So these neck shots, everyone pretty much aiming for the base of the neck?
                          I've shot some does right below the white patch on their necks and also top of the neck where the neck meets the skull. It's always lights out. It's actually nice because there's basically no meat ruined.

I actually neck shot a big *** free range axis buck because he wouldn't turn broadside for me. It was windy and I was worried he was gonna run off. That one was with a .280 150gr Nosler partition though lol. Hit him like a freight train and he dropped out of the scope so fast I thought I missed him haha.

Comment

Get some 64 grain Federal Fusions and shoot them in the shoulder. Done deal. All of my kids have killed deer this way growing up. Just don’t use dang varmint bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Always silly to mention shot placement, that goes for any weapon.

Use a good bullet and put it in the vitals of your choice

Comment

Working...
                              X