No announcement yet.

Which pellet smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Rec Teq 700, and love it. My neighbor has a Traeger and wishes he had a rec teq.

Comment

Rec Tec. I have the 590 and my only regret is not getting a bigger one. We use it a LOT.

Comment

Pitts and Spitts is on my radar

Comment

I’ve got three pit boss. 5 year warranty. Found the Austin XL model on sale at Walmart last week for $250. Couldn’t pass it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife bought me a Traeger 22 Pro Series in July for my birthday.
            It is my first pellet smoker so I can't speak from a lot of experience but I like it a lot. It does not have the WiFi Nd Bluetooth but I am fine with that. She paid $550 for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I started with a Green Mountain because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $2000 plus for a P&S or Yoder. After about 18 months I ended up buying a Yoder anyway. I looked at the P&S and the Yoder.

The things that sold me on the Yoder was that it was not welded to the cart, so I could put it in an outdoor kitchen if I wanted, and it had a trap door so that you could direct sear steaks and burgers. It's really nice to smoke the steaks close to temp, then lift off the trap door and get a good sear from the direct flame to get that perfect char on it. I don't think you can go with with either of those 2.

My Green Mountain is for sale. I thought I was going to take it to the ranch, but I'm not going to be smoking a brisket at the ranch. I can always cook it here and take it with me to heat up down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                I got the RecTec and love it. But I don't have any experience with anything else.
                ^^^ I was where you are a month ago. I chose the RecTeq 590. It is a substantial unit that I believe will last a long time. Two things pushed me to RecTeq over Traeger - the 5-yr RecTeq warranty and their customer service. I've contacted them 3 times and their response had been quick and helpful. We had a power blip and I couldn't get my grill reconnected to Wifi. They called me back at 7 pm and walked me through it. I'm impressed and the ribs and steak have been superb. Hoping to cook a pork butt and some chicken soon. It is the smaller unit but I did 6 ribeyes on it and 3 racks of ribs another time. It will do 2 turkeys which I will so enjoy at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'm certain the >$1K units people buy would be awesome, they were just not in my budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  The premium brands are Pitts & Spitts, Rec Tec and Yoder. These are built to be lifetime units and are very heavy duty.

All of the others I have looked at are cheaper, thinner metal and most can’t get the temperature high enough to sear. Also watching YouTube some of the other units do not have tight temperature control like the premium models. I’ve seen temp swings as high as 25° on some. Again I can only speak for what I own but the temp never swings more than 2-3°.

My P&S will get the chamber temp to 600°. Not sure about RT & Yoder.

Quality of pellets used makes a huge difference as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  You can't go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned here.
                  I have the Recteq 700 and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
                  I have never had mine over 565 degrees, but haven't tried to push it past that either...

Recteq now has a 1250 that will supposedly reach up to 700 degrees.

Comment

Rec tec and don’t look back.
                    I had a camp chef. Now have a rec tec 700 and it’s a MUCH better grill

Comment

Pit boss with the sliding grate for cooking steaks.

Comment

I bought my Yoder in 2017 and it hasn't had a single issue. I would buy another in a heartbeat (but don't see why I would ever have to)

Comment

Lone star grillz just released one, they make an awesome product!

Comment

I started off with a pitboss, and it worked ok for the price. I have since upgraded to the Rec Tec 700 and love it. The rec Tec hold temps spot on vs 75 degree temp swings with the pitboss. Rec Tec is also build much much better and the customer service is amazing. I have a couple buddies with treager. I will say this, the only thing a treager and Rec Tec have in common is price, other than that the treager is just like a cheap pitboss. All that being said if your not wanting to spend the coin for a premium grill my old pitboss still puts out good food at the ranch where it’s new home is.

Comment

green mountain grill

Comment

This is my Rec Tec 590 with a 18 lb. brisket. Works great for the last 1.5 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X