No announcement yet.

A/C System Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also get lots of quotes. I saw deltas of $500. That was after I narrowed down to a specific brand and system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We replaced our unit 3 years ago. Have a Lennox unit. Went with zoning the upstairs...it has a thermostat like downstairs. One system can run both floors and only heat/cool the floor calling for it. My kids went from complaining it was always hot, to wow it is cold. The zone was well worth the cost!.

16 seer seemed to be the division for my budget requirements. Did not do variable speed. Like others said, seemed the cost would never catch up to benefit.

$17k was the cost that included duct replacement. I think 4 ton system. Gas heat. House has never been more comfortable. We found 76° to be the comfortable summer time temp.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Being that you are planning on doing ductwork, why not install two systems?

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
          I actually just did exactly what your getting ready to do. I had a new system installed on May 17th. This is what I have

20 Seer Full Variable Carrier Infinity system
          It cost about $13,700 for everything (except ductwork, that was still fine).

I secured a 5-Year 0% interest loan.

Here is what I can tell you. Last year at this time, I was easily using 85-100 kWh per day. Exceeding 2000 every month. Currently, I am averaging 60-75. My bill last year was $250-$300 each summer month. I am only hitting 155-160.

The humidity control is amazing. It is mid to upper 90's outside and you wouldn't know it in my house. At night, it gets outright cold!

I keep my thermostat at 72 then drop it to 68 for bed.

Bottom line, it was worth the extra few thousand to get the comfort.

BTW, with that cost, I have a 10-year Parts and Labor warranty. If something happens, all I do is make a phone call.
          That's pretty insane money for an AC unit, how many tons is it?

Comment

I have seen variable speed systems with duct modifications and zoning go for $20k+.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
              I have seen variable speed systems with duct modifications and zoning go for $20k+.

The quote for that setup came in right under $20k.

I went with a 4 ton 16 SEER unit with a variable furnace and zoning. The contractor is a great guy who volunteers with me at the rodeo. He has done work for multiple committee members and they all highly recommended him. We talked about my goals and he actually said the lower level system would have been fine for my goals but this slight upgrade will be better in general for everyone (including future owners). Of course, the variable system was the BEST but he didn’t push it and said that it’s not what everyone needs and was honest that it doesn’t have a lot of return on the investment.

Looking forward to my house not being 82 degrees for most of the day and night.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the advice. I feel like I had a much better basis for making a decision on an investment that is more than most of the vehicles I’ve owned.

Comment

Good luck, glad to be of help. Glad you didn't go single stage on zoned, it would be a compromise. Since ductwork is modified, get them to balance the airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
                  The quote for that setup came in right under $20k.

I went with a 4 ton 16 SEER unit with a variable furnace and zoning. The contractor is a great guy who volunteers with me at the rodeo. He has done work for multiple committee members and they all highly recommended him. We talked about my goals and he actually said the lower level system would have been fine for my goals but this slight upgrade will be better in general for everyone (including future owners). Of course, the variable system was the BEST but he didn’t push it and said that it’s not what everyone needs and was honest that it doesn’t have a lot of return on the investment.

Looking forward to my house not being 82 degrees for most of the day and night.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the advice. I feel like I had a much better basis for making a decision on an investment that is more than most of the vehicles I’ve owned.

That sounds high. I just had a 4 ton plus a 2 ton 17 SEER 2 stage systems with 4 zones and a 7k BTU minisplit plus vent hood makeup air and 5 exhaust fan ducts installed for just under $20k.

Of course this is new construction and not remodel so that will make some difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    That sounds high. I just had a 4 ton plus a 2 ton 17 SEER 2 stage systems with 4 zones and a 7k BTU minisplit plus vent hood makeup air and 5 exhaust fan ducts installed for just under $20k.

Of course this is new construction and not remodel so that will make some difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The $20k price was for duct and variable speed system.

Comment

Working...
                    X