Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to shoot a deer....when their head is up or when it is down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does a deer "jump the string" more when they have their head up or when they are down toward the ground? Here is a pretty good video that isn't an ABSOLUTE but gives you some science behind when you should take a shot.
    The breakdown of the shot is at the 7:40 mark.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puo1bAulPF4"]Bow Hunting: The Best Hunt We've Ever Videoed About Deer Reacting to a Shot - YouTube[/ame]

interesting video, they can drop quick.

Comment

When I decided I'm going to shoot a particular deer I start to focus on a spot. When that spot is open and the deer is not moving I turn it loose. I like science and video but I try not to over think it or I may never release and arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        When I decided I'm going to shoot a particular deer I start to focus on a spot. When that spot is open and the deer is not moving I turn it loose. I like science and video but I try not to over think it or I may never release and arrow.
        Agree with this. I have an older bow (2006 Mathews Switchback), so not the fastest on the market. I rarely shoot further than 25 yards (distance from blind to feeder). I have never missed or not killed a deer because of it 'dropping'.
        I see videos and photos of deer dropping all the time. But I don't know if guys are shooting from further away or really slow bows because it hasn't been an issue for me.

Comment

Very good video.. Great info.. Thanks for posting!!!!

Comment

Good info if you have the luxury, but I shoot em when they give me a chance with their body and leg positioning. I’m not gonna add a third element to check.

At a feeder their head is down most of the time anyway. I guess I could make a noise to make them put their head up but then they are alert looking at me. I’m betting that drop percentage raises when they are alert looking at me too.

Comment

Good watch. Just watched it while in the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                This right here.
                Another thing I've learned over the years, don't force a shot. Let the shot present itself. Forcing a shot will only lead to headaches.

Comment

Confirms what I’ve observed in the field over the years. Deer seem a lot more on edge/high strung when their head is down feeding. That’s naturally when a predator would make its advance.

Comment

I look at the body position and what the tail is doing. If it is relaxed and not flipping I think they are calmer than a tail flipping up, down or all around. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I just watched the video and I totally agree with what Dr. Woods had to say... I've been telling folks for years about that. There was a thread on here a couple years ago about this and I posted then that especially on does, I do not shoot them with their head's down no matter what.... I violated my own rule on that early last season and shot one eating under a feeder at 18 yards... she ducked my arra so bad, I just poked a hole in the fleshy part above her spine in front of her shoulders... She was back under the feeder a couple weeks later...

Comment

Working...
                      X